[User-committee] Discrimination and the Code of Conduct

Michael Krotscheck krotscheck at gmail.com
Fri May 6 20:47:20 UTC 2016

Hello everyone-

OpenStack's Code of Conduct does not have an explicit discrimination
clause, nor does it have any mention of what constitutes harassment.

https://www.openstack.org/legal/community-code-of-conduct/

There've been quite a few flashpoints recently, where individuals acting
inside of other open source communities have engaged in allegedly racist,
sexist, and other discriminatory behavior, to the detriment and loss of
their peer contributors. I personally feel that it is only a matter of time
before something similar happens inside of our community (if it hasn't
already), and I strongly believe we should decide how we, as a community,
should react should something like this happen, before it actually does.

I've spoken to a member of the Board of Directors, and their recommendation
was that the user committee take on this task, and make a recommendation to
the Board and the Foundation.

My personal opinion is that a zero-tolerance policy may not be effective,
as it provides little opportunity for correction, education, and
redemption. Even so, a policy that does not have teeth will be little more
than lip service.

Michael Krotscheck