[User-committee] working group comms

Jonathan Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Mon May 2 17:00:50 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 05:31:47PM +0100, Stig Telfer wrote:
:Thanks Jon, those are some useful points to bear in mind.  I also fully understand Blair’s point of view, it may be that (even with helpful cheat sheets) IRC becomes a barrier to entry for widening participation.  I use IRC every week, but that’s not enough for me to enjoy using it.  Jumping on IRC doesn’t tend to make me smile.
:
:Can we find a comfort zone for everyone with the three forums for communication we have as standard:
:
:- Face-to-face: Working group sessions at operators meetups
:- Email: Operators and user committee mailing lists
:- IM: IRC (I also prefer using Slack but understand people’s comments from this thread)
:
:I hope that we can.  Perhaps we should try for a while and reexamine the options if we find it’s not working?

Indeed most important point is:

:> 1) Does the communication method work for the people who want to be
:> involved

After that there's certainly some way to solve for:

:> 2) Is it transparent to the rest of the community
:>   2.1) easy to join
:>   2.2) logged

-Jon