[User-committee] [app] The State of the JavaScript

Michael Krotscheck krotscheck at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 15:40:40 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 11:47 PM David F Flanders <flanders at openstack.org>
wrote:

> That was a cool demo!=
>

> Is it built atop Shade then, like Ansible?

No, it's all JavaScript, built using the yeoman-generator template. Most of
the pieces are already landed in js-generator-openstack, but we haven't cut
a release recently.

> +2 for clouds.yaml

The current spec for this is here: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/331801/
Current consensus seems to be that the JavaScript SDK will not be
opinionated about how the file is discovered/loaded, but it will adhere to
the format.

> Which communities/conference should we be promoting this to for more
> reviewers/contributors?

Strategically speaking:
- First, build support inside OpenStack partner companies via the App
Ecosystem Hackathons & Design Summits.
- Then: Build support to OpenStack's consumers and customers, via the
OpenStack Summit.
- Then: Socialize it to the JavaScript community as an alternative to
AWS: NodeConf,
NPM Camp, NGConf, f8, etc.

Flanders- Victor's been trying to reach you to find out how much training
the Foundation wants to do at the summit, and what kind of formats are
available. We'd be happy to propose some training sessions, but we can't
prioritize options without knowing how much space we have. With the
deadline on July 15th, we need to know whether we need to submit these via
you (as a privately constructed foundation training event) or via the panel
picker.

Michael