[User-committee] [app] The State of the JavaScript

Michael Krotscheck krotscheck at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 18:09:32 UTC 2016

Hey everyone-

I've just finished catching up on the conversations from the last few
months, to get an idea of where everything is. Rather than chime in with
the relevant threads, I think it'll make more sense for me to give a status
update on all things Node.js and JavaScript that I've been working on. Much
of this work has been done in collaboration, and under the banner of, the
infra project, so this group probably hasn't heard of it yet. I will
highlight outstanding questions and issues that need to be resolved for
this particular effort to move forward. For a more detailed overview, this
blog post should help
<https://krotscheck.net/2016/04/21/javascript-roadmap-for-openstack-newton.html>
.

TL/DR Overview:
* Project is tentatively called 'Neverland'.
* It aims to provide the Non-OpenStack JS community with a gate-tested
OpenStack JavaScript API library for both Node.js and Browser apps (shade,
for JavaScript), as well as project management tools and demo apps.

Design Decisions:
* pkgcloud, much like libcloud, is too rackspace specific.
* We will be using clouds.yaml as our configuration source.
* (new) Incorporating the JS version of FirstApp into generator-openstack
as the sample project makes quite a bit of sense.
* We're here to support JS things that happen outside of OpenStack, as that
community is used to a very different toolchain than we are (travis,
coveralls, etc). While the library projects will fall under OpenStack's
governance, other projects probably shouldn't.

Completed work:
* CORS support in OpenStack Mitaka, to support browser applications.
* OpenStack infra knows how to test, report, cover, and publish javascript
projects.
* We have a common set of JavaScript language style rules.

Active projects:
* eslint-config-openstack: Common style rules.
* js-generator-openstack: Project Generator (see
https://youtu.be/qcgvKIj4Ins for PoC video, 1:40min)
* ironic-webclient: An 'App' that manages an ironic cluster.
* js-openstack-lib: Approved as of friday, woohoo!

Current blockers, questions, and concerns:
* One of our projects lives under the QA banner, another under Infra,
another by itself. It'd be nice if it all lived under one banner; that way
we can consolidate our cores. Igor's thread on "where should apps live" is
very timely.
* NPM Mirrors in infra are running into a nasty segfault which makes them
(at this time) unusable.
* Not enough reviewers. Right now it's me, and whomever I manage to pester.
* Not enough contributors. See above.
* We don't have solutions for i18n and documentation yet.

There's more, but that's a good overview. Any questions?

Michael