[User-committee] [scientific-wg] terminology

Tim Randles trandles at lanl.gov
Wed Jun 1 17:07:25 UTC 2016

Sorry I wasn't able to make yesterday's Scientific Working Group IRC
meeting.  The discussion looked very interesting.  I would like to +1
Blair's second idea:

<b1airo> #idea I want to run my (persistent) HPC platform/service using
OpenStack as the infrastructure provisioning system

This is exactly the use case I am exploring.  We're also in the early
stages of defining and brainstorming support for complex work flows.

A problem that I see arising from these use case discussions is
terminology.  Let's consider the two main use cases thrown out
yesterday, scientific clouds and cloud provisioning of HPC.  If someone
wants to discuss "scheduling" that will likely mean wildly different
things in the context of each use case.  Would it be useful, or even
possible, to agree now on a set of standard definitions that we can use
to avoid confusion?

For instance, I propose the following:

"Cloud scheduling" - provision-oriented (VMs/bare-metal) scheduling.
Queued time may be similar to "HPC scheduling" but run time is measured
in days, weeks, or even months. Example: Nova scheduler

"HPC scheduling" - job-oriented, batch scheduling. Typically queued time
and run time measured in hours or days. Examples: SLURM, Torque, PBS

I think "accounting" also falls under this overloaded-terminology rubric
but it's much harder to define.  Even among traditional HPC centers
there tends to be great variation in how accounting is done.  What other
terms have folks found to be confusing?

Tim

--
Tim Randles