[User-committee] [app] What is an App?

Caballero Abraham, Rodrigo rodrigo.caballero.abraham at intel.com
Wed Jul 27 17:11:02 UTC 2016

From: Michael Krotscheck [mailto:krotscheck at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 2:34 PM
To: Stefano Maffulli <stefano at openstack.org>; user-committee <user-committee at lists.openstack.org>
Subject: Re: [User-committee] [app] What is an App?

Good afternoon, everyone.

Yesterday, at the App Ecosystem WG meeting, we voted on three proposed definitions for this topic. The winner of the vote was the following:

Cloud applications in the perspective of the App Ecosystem Working Group are:

  *   applications built using OpenStack SDK's or API's; or
  *   applications deployed atop OpenStack using Heat, Murano, or 3rd party deployment/management tools; or
  *   PaaS and container solutions running atop OpenStack
This will shortly be added to the Wiki. Furthermore, this definition will be added to the "Alan - App Developer" UX persona.

[<rcaballeroMX>] The link to the patch for Alan is up for review at:  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/347955/

While we acknowledge that the scope of Alan's work may be getting overloaded (and thus might require a split and/or addition of another persona), we feel that this discussion is best had after the UX team has gathered data from their App Developer survey.

Michael