[User-committee] ACTION Needed - All WGs Chairs

Montenegro, Patricia patricia.montenegro at intel.com
Mon Jul 11 16:57:19 UTC 2016

Hello Edgar,

My name is Patricia Montenegro (Intel) and I co-chair the App Ecosystem WG along with Michael Krotscheck (HPe), who is now replacing John Callaghan (HPe) since after the Austin Summit. Victor Diaz (Intel) was covering me while I was away on maternity leave for the past 3 months.

The WG is very active, we hold weekly meetings, alternating phone and IRC (which has increased the participation) and we have several ongoing efforts. We would like to have room for the WG meeting in Barcelona as well as bird of a feather session.

You can find more information below.

Best regards,

Patricia

________________________________

What happened in Austin:

  *   More than 20 people attended App Ecosystem WG working session at Austin[1].  Participants among Openstack, Internap, Dreamhost, Gigaspaces, IBM, Mirantis, and Intel revisited the WG Charter. It was decided to focus on the preparation for training to add value in Barcelona.

  *   Our First CloudApp Development Experience report and presentations at the summit were well attended/received. It’s clear we need more focus on Application Developers to understand their needs and remove barriers for adoption and increase the use of OpenStack based clouds.

  *   Application Developers interest is growing, there is a significant uptick in Application Developer responses in the OS User Survey, and more attendees at the summit reporting as App developers. The  addition to offer both voice and virtual meetings (plus ongoing anytime contribution) will permit a broader participation to the WG group.

On going efforts aimed to Barcelona:

  *   Continue the effort to update SDKs for Barcelona, starting with Python SDKs (pythonsdk, shade or libcloud) as decided by the participants of the working session in Austin. Additionally the team is working on complete “My First App” tutorial for the Shade SDK (Python). Getting Started, Introduction and Make it durable sections are ready.

  *   Lead the redesign of OpenStack developer portal, which is currently not usable because the available resources could be better organized according to language of a systematic set of choices, developer task or workflows, SDK, API and guides.

  *   OpenStack Cloud Application Hackathon will be held in Guadalajara, Mexico in September 9 - 11 at the Tecnologico de Monterrey University. OpenStack powered hackathons are world leading events that empower the next generation of cloud application developers to innovate on applications in the cloud. The team is leading the organization with advice from the OpenStack Foundation, and aims to deliver templates and BKM for the community on how to set up an OpenStack Hackathon.

  *   OpenStack Workload Architecture (microservices summit proposal): There is a big problem nowadays: Application development if shifting from monolithic apps into cloudware apps. However, developers are still not confident regarding how to make this transition. In collaboration with the Enterprise WG, We are designing (and implementing in GoLang) a cloud-based application by leveraging micro-services architecture pattern and API-centric model. We will examine how to partition an application into multiple micro-services and communicate them through APIs, and explain this both in both Barcelona summit and in documentation for the OpenStack community.

* The WG has a wiki page[2] a listing our objectives and deliverables..

* We meet weekly on phone and IRC[3] and this seems to work well for our members.

[1] <https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/scientific-wg-austin-summit-agenda> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/AppEcoSystem_WG_Austin_Meetup

[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Application_Ecosystem_Working_Group

[3] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/AppEcoSystemWG_Archives<https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Application_Ecosystem_Working_Group#Previous_Etherpad_links_can_be_found_here:_https:.2F.2Fetherpad.openstack.org.2Fp.2FAppEcoSystemWG_Archives>

[3] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/app_ecosystem_wg/2016/