[User-committee] OpenStack UX Status: 07/06/2016

Kruithof Jr, Pieter pieter.kruithof.jr at intel.com
Wed Jul 6 16:50:26 UTC 2016

Hiya,

Sorry for the delay. Here’s the status for the OpenStack UX project.

--
Piet Kruithof

Sr User Experience Architect, Intel OTC
PTL, OpenStack UX Project

Mobile: 512 576-2844
IRC: piet

___________________
This is a quick list of things that need to be reviewed by the team.

* Review DNSaaS panels in Invision
https://invis.io/7T7U7ESY5

* Review Persona Guideline
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/326662/

* Review GUI Guideline
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/337202/

___________________
USER RESEARCH

Here is a list of research that are in progress.  A full list of priorities can be found at:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/UX#Research_Priorities_for_Newton

* Application Developer Interviews
Danielle will be starting interviews with application developers next week.  The effort was done in collaboration with the App Developer WG with the intent of generating richer information from our customers.

Here's the etherpad with the questions:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-osux-appdevinterview

The study has been reviewed and approved by the team, so please don’t make changes…

* Application Developer Survey
The application developer survey is intended to both validate the findings from the interviews and supplement data that is collected during the foundation’s user survey.  The team should begin distributing the survey at the end of July.

* Operator Information Needs Interviews
There were a number of comments from operators on the need for better documentation in the user survey (see below). We are expanding the scope of the study to encompass information needs rather than simply documentation.

___________________
Guidelines
We have two documents that are currently being reviewed by the community and are a collaboration between the Docs, UX and Horizon projects.  Both guidelines are intended to help build consistency across OpenStack’s projects.

Please take a few moments to review each:

* OpenStack Personas
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/326662/

* GUI Guidelines for OpenStack
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/337202/

___________________
UX DESIGN
* Horizon DNSaaS Panel

Alex Sulgrove has posted a mocks for DNSaaS within Horizon to Invision for review.  We’ve gotten a few reviews, but would like to see more.

https://invis.io/7T7U7ESY5

* Pholio
The process is taking a bit long, but we are moving to Pholio as our design review tool.  I will be archiving the projects currently in Invision as PDF files over the next month.

* Refstack
There was a request for a UX designer to work on the Refstack UI.

<https://refstack.openstack.org/#/>https://refstack.openstack.org/#/
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/RefStack

Interested parties should contact Rochelle “Rocky” Grober (copied on this email).

* Horizon Overview Panel
I’m planning to pick-up the overview panel after the previous UX designer had to move on to other commitments.

BARCELONA OPENSTACK SUMMIT

The deadline to submit presentations to the Barcelona Summit is July 13th.

https://www.openstack.org/summit-login/login?BackURL=%2Fsummit%2Fbarcelona-2016%2Fcall-for-presentations%2F

We have created an etherpad to help coordinate the various talks being submitted to the summit:

<https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-openstackux-summitpresentations>https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-openstackux-summitpresentations

The first author for each proposed talk should be responsible for writing the abstract, selecting co-presenters and submitting to the Barcelona summit.

Let me know if you have any questions or additions.

Piet