[User-committee] [scientific-wg] Request for potential scientific-wg tasks to prioritise in Austin.

David F Flanders flanders at openstack.org
Fri Jan 29 04:24:15 UTC 2016

Thanks Jon,  Stig,  Always good to have a blessing to get these things
kicked off.

I'll see if I can add a [scientific-wg] tag to the [user-committee] mailing
list.  Until, the mailing list traffic exceeds a weekly trickle, I believe
it should stay here on the user-comitte mailing list for
oversight/guidance.   Any objections?

Next step will be the innagural scientific-wg meeting in Austin which Stig
is submitting on behalf of several authors.

It would be good to get a little brainstorming done on list prior to
meeting face to face.   Specifically, I think the meeting in Austin should
be used to list specific tasks which the WG can progress with Barcelona as
the deadline?

For example, the following sub-wg tasks could be taken on by 1-3 ppl:

i.) HPC-Openstack operators to liaise with foundation on an HPC Openstack
whitepaper.

ii.) Published List of University clouds being made available for
student/staff use cross institution,  i.e. Australia,  Taiwan and the USA
all have public clouds available to those with .edu email addresses.

iii.) Published list of scientific applications which have images built for
OpenStack,  i.e. iPython, RStudio, CAD, Tilemill, etc

iv.) Published list of scientific datasets accessible via openstack APIs, a
la AWS public datasets.

v.) Your turn to insert idea here...

Etc.

I'm a big fan of having small quick wins in the first six months of the WG?
Eventually to evolve into oversight of key agendas.

@ALL request for potential WG tasks:  I'm glad to curate the ideas posted
into the etherpad for use as the starter agenda during the Austin meeting.

Yes you want to push reply and post an idea!  <-- attempting new Jedi email
mind trick ;)

Best,  Flanders