[User-committee] app dev on-boarding experience report

Bonell Manjarrez, Marcela marcela.bonell.manjarrez at intel.com
Mon Jan 25 19:27:00 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

Continuing with the developer experience report, these are my findings using shade in RAX cloud:

- Connect with OpenStack is easier, using  ~/.config/openstack/clouds.yml also the profiles for public clouds are very useful because is a guide for how to construct your connection and the services available for that provider [2].
- Shade has similar methods names that libcloud, but shade simplify some instructions such as: connection with the cloud, searches, floating IPs…
- I used the RAX profile and everything  was fine until the security group creation, now it’s not because the SDK (actually shade support nova-network and neutron) the problem is my provider (RAX):

* When I try to create a security group I get this error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/shade/openstackcloud.py", line 1102, in list_security_groups
    "Unavailable feature: security groups"
shade.exc.OpenStackCloudUnavailableFeature: Unavailable feature: security groups

As you can see in the rackspace.json[3] the “has_network” attribute is false, so shade disabled this feature in the RAX profile… Monty mentioned: "Rackspace puts neutron in the service catalog but it does not work (404s the endpoint)” [4]. I overwrote my RAX client config to force to use nova or neutron and as Monty said I got the 404 error...

    my-rackspace:
	profile: rackspace
     	auth:
       	    username: XXX
       	    password: XXX
            project_id: XXX
     region_name: 'DFW'
     secgroup_source: 'neutron'

Error with neutron:
shade.exc.OpenStackCloudURINotFound: Error fetching security group list: 404 Not Found
The resource could not be found.

Error with nova:
shade.exc.OpenStackCloudException: Error fetching security group list (Inner Exception: Not found (HTTP 404) (Request-ID: req-239ab188-6c7c-45d1-9600-8567c26874e3))

Also when Monty presented shade in the latest summit, he mentioned about it[5]

Well these are my findings for now.., I followed the FirstApp (Draft for shade) and as Stefano mentioned the draft have to be published at least the completed section. For me the “Getting started” section[6] is almost ready, I just need to fix the bug I found in the documentation[7] :)
I’ll try TryStack to avoid the RAX problems but I haven’t receive my account authorization yet (manual approval step).

[1] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/os-client-config
[2] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/os-client-config/tree/os_client_config/vendors
[3] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/os-client-config/tree/os_client_config/vendors/rackspace.json
[4] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/230033/