[User-committee] [app] which apps and devs are we targeting?

David F Flanders flanders at openstack.org
Fri Jan 22 22:34:59 UTC 2016

Hi Chris, [Aside: I was very impressed by your work on the app catalogue
and think your expertise in this WG would be valuable.]

Welcome, welcome, I've recently joined the app-eco-wg so figuring out stuff
myself[1].  Below is what I've learned.

The question I'm hoping you (and the rest of the [user-committee]s can
comment upon:

Whom do you think should be the target (priority) AppDev audiences for
consuming APIs?
Or in other words, how can the AppEco-WG help recruit different user
audiences (tribes) to utilise the APIs?

Thus far the list of tribes I've been working on, whom will need to
understand how to interface with the APIs includes:

   1. SDK Developers <-- for me the "my 1st cloud app" guide (and
   forthcoming training) should help model how SDK developers provide guidance
   for their SDKs,
   2. Container application developers, i.e. docker, rkt, kuryr, open
   container spec, etc.
   3. Lightweight O/S, i.e. Core OS, CentOS, LXD, etc.
   4. Virtualisation, i.e. VMWare, LXD, etc.
   5. Orchestration/Configuration, i.e. Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Salt, etc.
   6. PaaS platforms, i.e. Mesos, Kubernetes, Cloud Foundry, etc.
   7. OpenStack App-Dev projects, a la Murano, Solum, Magnum
   8. Scientific-WG, i.e. how will HPC/HTC users want to utilise the APIs
   9. Mobile / IoT developers / {other subset collections of SDKs to meet
   varying vertical app dev needs}
   10. ??? WHO ELSE ???

Accordingly, my two questions for the above list are:

i.) what appDev tribes are missing from the above?
ii.) what should be the priority of the list above?

And (for bonus points):

iii.) how can app-eco-wg facilitate support for the AppDev tribes we want
to engage (including the work we are already doing)?

Kind Regards,

Flanders
Community Wrangler
OpenStack Foundation