[User-committee] app dev on-boarding experience report

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Fri Jan 15 16:48:16 UTC 2016

On 01/14/2016 02:29 PM, Bonell Manjarrez, Marcela wrote:
> So, what I noticed is that even using openstack or rackspace driver,
> the problem is in the same file, same line, same request:
>
> File
> "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/libcloud/compute/drivers/openstack.py",
> line 1769, in ex_list_security_groups
> self.connection.request('/os-security-groups').object)
>

> As you can see the request uses '/os-security-groups' and in the RAX
> documentation[1] the networking requests uses '/security-groups’
> that’s why libcloud fails, both drivers use the same request:
> self.connection.request('/os-security-groups').object)

Yep, looks like a bug. Something must have changed at RAX for the
security groups and nobody has updated libcloud...

> Suggestions?

As David suggests, Shade is a much better option although it lacks a few
features for Swift. There is a draft tutorial (missing the swift parts):

http://developer.openstack.org/draft/firstapp-shade/

Maybe consider if it's worth using first-app tutorial to compare the app
developer experience on Rackspace Cloud to the others. The first-app
looks to me more like a book to understand micro-services and
architectural design for the cloud than an example of a real-world
deployment. Using that tutorial as a benchmark for dev experience may
always give unfair results.

/stef