[User-committee] [app] Revamp openstack.org/appdev

Lauren Sell lauren at openstack.org
Wed Dec 7 14:06:58 UTC 2016

> On Dec 7, 2016, at 7:32 AM, Anne Gentle <annegentle at justwriteclick.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 6:10 PM, Montenegro, Patricia <patricia.montenegro at intel.com <mailto:patricia.montenegro at intel.com>> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> As part of the App Developer Enablement WG goals for this cycle we want to improve openstack.org/appdev <http://openstack.org/appdev>. The goal is to make it a reference for app developers that want to adopt OpenStack clouds. To get started we need help from the community with the following things:
> History and ownership – We need to know the history behind the existing site, who owns/maintains it, where did the existing content come from, analytic, etc. Anything that can help us understand the current site to shape the next version. If you have any information or know who might have it, please let me know.
>
> I believe the Foundation started this up in 2015 to get re-use out of the First App content and video content. The First App content was written in a book sprint in June 2015, led by Tom Fifield, blog post here: http://www.openstack.org/blog/2015/07/writing-your-first-openstack-application/ <http://www.openstack.org/blog/2015/07/writing-your-first-openstack-application/>.

Yes! The page was launched mid-2015 and meant to promote the first app guide, as well as aggregate relevant content for app developers. Since that time we added links to content developed by the ISV working group, as well as the containers white paper and landing page.

The page is in great need of a content overhaul, and I would for the working group to collaborate with members of the Foundation staff web/design/content team. We just need to figure out the right model for engagement for the initial content development, as well as ongoing updates. I’m going to chat with the Foundation team and come back with some ideas, but it’s worth getting started on goals and sketching out content ideas in the meantime.

> Existing content – I have the action to map the existing content, but I’m hopeful someone already has that information.  If you have any information or know who might have it, please let me know.
> The content consists of:
> a link to www.openstack.org/isv <http://www.openstack.org/isv>
> a link to the First App guide for libcloud
> a link to a containers white paper
> a link to developer.openstack.org <http://developer.openstack.org/>
> a link to the app.openstack.org <http://app.openstack.org/> site
> links to relevant Summit videos
>
> Desired content – Here’s the interesting part: what information you think will be useful for app developers to adopt and use OpenStack? Do you have content you think might be useful? Do you want to help shape this?
> I'll have to think about this question more. PaaS comes to mind as does the app architecture references.

I suggest that first we clearly define the audience(s) and goals for the page. We’re generally making an effort to better define audience/role, goals and their path through the website (and community) as we continue to add more content to openstack.org.

As we’ve informally talked about the page amongst the Foundation staff, we think it’s important to be interactive, hands-on and to recognize that there’s additional complexity due to sub-audiences defined by different tools and technology stacks.

Since the page was launched, a few new resources developed by the community include the Cloud App Labs (hands-on!), which were debuted at the Barcelona Summit, Superuser articles, hackathons and of course new presentations and videos from the Summit and other events.

> But. If this page is meant to be a marketing page, consider working on developer.openstack.org <http://developer.openstack.org/> instead. That's easier for community members to change as it's sourced in git.

Agree that developer.openstack.org is another very important resource. I believe the working group is already eyeing it, but as always, there is a general need for more resources :)

Thanks Patricia and Anne!