[User-committee] [app] App Developer Survey - Plan

Christopher Aedo doc at aedo.net
Thu Dec 1 05:29:51 UTC 2016

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 2:35 PM, Montenegro, Patricia
<patricia.montenegro at intel.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> As part of the goal to improve http://www.openstack.org/appdev/ the App Dev
> Enablement WG (formerly App Ecosystem) decided to create a survey to help
> collect data from cloud app developers at various events to help shape the
> WG goals as well as define what type of content we’d like to invest on for
> the site.
>
> We started the conversation at a meeting [1] and started an etherpad [2] to
> help plan. So far we have different approaches, the first one is a survey to
> be send to participants of large events like hackathons and trainings. The
> second one a guided conversation for smaller events like meet-up where we
> have the benefit of someone to moderate and capture the findings from
> smaller groups.
>
> We’ll continue the conversation on our next meeting (Monday, Dec 5), feel
> free to join the discussion on the meeting or comment here.
>
> :D
> Patricia
>
> [1] Meeting log, for context:
> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/app_ecosystem_wg/2016/app_ecosystem_wg.2016-11-21-22.02.log.html
> [2] Survey plan etherpad:
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/AppDevEnablement_DevSurvey

Patricia, thanks for getting this conversation started on the mailing list.

When this topic came up in Barcelona, my thinking was that user group
organizers (such as myself) could use the time at the end of meetups
to lead an informal conversation around what kind of applications
folks are developing on OpenStack clouds (if any) and how they are
doing that.  My expectation is that we simply ask a question like
this:

"Are you developing applications on OpenStack?  Why kind of
applications (i.e. cloud-specific apps that could be distributed/used
by others, in-house apps for your own use, or something else?"

...and then let the conversation take its course from there.

Thoughts?  Opinions?  If you were attending an OpenStack user group
and the organizer tried this out, what would you think?

-Christopher