[User-committee] Efficiency of WGs?

David F Flanders flanders at openstack.org
Tue Aug 30 03:43:13 UTC 2016

+1 that the UC should engender an active conversation on this mailing
list; apropros, this posting which I would hope to see the
conversation lead by the UC+WG chairs as the TC does with PTLs.

This conversation has arisen from the WG chairs which I've seen
discussed of recent; I'm just the messenger ;-)
--------
Also, I've been made aware that there is a panel discussion on the
topic of diversity(timezones!!!) in WGs (and other OpenStack
activities) at the forthcoming Barcelona summit:

https://www.openstack.org/summit/barcelona-2016/summit-schedule/events/15018/if-i-dont-live-in-us-how-do-i-become-a-significant-contributor-to-openstack

I've Cc'd the moderator (Annie Lai), of which hopefully a discussion
here on the mailing list can help inform the panel's discussion?

In short, Calling All Chairs: good practice, advice, guidance.  It
would be great to get some conversation going from you our user
community leaders.

Kind Regards,

Flanders

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 12:32 PM, Edgar Magana <edgar.magana at workday.com> wrote:
> Flanders,
>
> I really appreciate you have putting this together. It looks good to me but I would like to include that chair and co-chairs should have an active communication with the User Committee (UC) via IRC or email.
> I noticed you have mentioned already posting to the user-committee mailing list but I want to very clear that UC is around to help the WGs to became successful, exactly the same way the TC supports the PTLs.
>
> Edgar
>
> On 8/29/16, 5:36 PM, "David F Flanders" <flanders at openstack.org> wrote:
>
>     Dear Working Group Co-Chairs and User Committee Chairs,
>
>     The logistical tasks of running a WG meeting is by no means trivial,
>     here a quick list of things which a co-chairs of a WG do on a weekly
>     basis to run a global meeting:
>
>     a.) mint calendar invitation to all members (subscribe/unsubscribe members)
>     b.) call for agenda items via etherpad
>     c.) update wiki with upcoming meeting and link to etherpad agenda
>     d.) email user-committee mailing list on when next meeting is
>     occurring along with agenda links
>     e.) assure meeting channel is confirmed (irc/phone/etc)
>     f.) run meeting according to good practices (irc etiquette or well
>     taken notes if via voice)
>     g.) post meeting follow up: circulating actions, posting meeting
>     notes, taking any outstanding queries to the mailing list for
>     consideration, etc.
>     h.) follow up actions.
>     i.) recruit new members
>     j.) plan for summit meetings
>     k.) etc etc.
>
>     All of the above are sometimes done twice-over at different times to
>     help maintain the conversation in different timezones.
>
>     In addition, the groups are still not well attended by as diverse an
>     audience as OpenStack represents.  AsiaPac, Latin America, India and
>     other massive OpenStack user groups have not yet engaged despite some
>     of their massive communities.
>
>     One of the recent suggestions has been to converge some of the WGs to
>     help ease the burden of these logistical tasks.
>
>     Other options include:
>
>       * having a more systematic approach to when WG occur, i.e. agreeing
>     a set pattern such s a day per fortnight which each WG happens (one
>     after another).
>
>       * having a shared IRC channel for all WG activity to help create
>     more water-cooler conversation between chairs?
>
>      * sharing of logistical duties between WG chairs, etc
>
>     Options abound, though discussion much needed!
>
>     Q: Is there any good practice we can draw from? I've been digging
>     around my old W3C and IETF notes to see what good practice there may
>     be?
>
>     Discussion/replies greatly appreciated to see if there is any consensus?
>
>     Kind Regards,
>
>     Flanders

Flanders | OpenStack Foundation | Community Manager (Cloud Application
Communities)
http://superuser.openstack.org/articles/meet-openstack-s-community-wrangler-david-flanders