[User-committee] Fwd: Enhancing the community events page

Jimmy McArthur jimmy at openstack.org
Wed Aug 3 16:36:24 UTC 2016

Stig,

Thanks for the thoughts on the Events page. It's definitely something
that has grown beyond the confines of the current page. We welcome
community feedback on the page and it is something that has been on the
redesign list for a while.  I'm expecting the Foundation design team to
come around to this after the Barcelona Summit, if not sooner.
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>> *From: *Stig Telfer <stig.openstack at telfer.org
>> <mailto:stig.openstack at telfer.org>>
>> *Subject: **[User-committee] Enhancing the community events page*
>> *Date: *August 3, 2016 at 5:58:47 AM CDT
>> *To: *user-committee at lists.openstack.org
>> <mailto:user-committee at lists.openstack.org>
>>
>> Hi All -
>>
>> In discussion at today’s Scientific WG meeting[1] we were talking
>> about upcoming OpenStack events with an HPC/research focus.  The
>> community events page[2] was cited, but in our discussion we thought
>> it could go further to be truly useful:
>>
>> - A filter for listing of regional events
We're already collecting this information by adding Regional as well as
City, State, Country fields into the Event registration on
openstack.org. Still on the list to coordinate with groups.openstack.org
to make sure we're gathering / passing the same information.
>> - Some way of tagging content for specific subject matter
We do have some rudimentary tagging for things like Enterprise,
OpenStack Days, Summits, etc... Additionally, we have a whole new
tagging system that we rolled out for Call for Presentations. We're
working to incorporate this into the Events page as well.
>> - Having events in a calendar format (filtered by region and perhaps
>> content)
Yeah, the current listing method is just not practical. I'm not 100%
sure a calendar format is the right way, but maybe we could make that an
alternate view. Something for discussion :)

>> Is this something that has been discussed previously and is it
>> something we could help to make happen?
Please continue the feedack! We're taking notes :)

Cheers,
Jimmy