[User-committee] [app] 1st milestone for my first Openstack Application

Bart Demeulenaere bart.demeulenaere at venean.com
Mon Apr 11 22:13:05 UTC 2016

Hi,

Over the past 2 months with so little time I can dedicate to this effort I
have been crawling towards my first Opensatck application. Today I have
reached my first milestone. So what is this about?

The Openstack deployment is:
- Mirantis 6.0/Openstack Juno (so old) on a single hardware box in a bunch
of Virtualbox VMs (6 of them) - the Openstack VMs have no internet access
- Nova networking (could not get Neutron configured so I could use it)
- Swift object storage

My first milestone is a Python script that will upload a software archive to
the Object storage, then launch a VM on Openstack that upon boot
(cloud-init) will download that archive and start a webserver from it that
is externally accessible. So prerequisites are an uploaded cloud-image for
the VM and a security group (with SSH key and port rules). The webserver
just returns 'exception' when contacted as it is supposed to monitor another
part of y application that I have not yet up and running (next milestone).
Point is though - it is auto-launched at VM creation time (running as a
non-root user) and it is externally accessible, returning something.

I used the nova-python sdk and swift-python sdk for this, tried first with
the integrated OpenstackPythonSDK, but my deployment is likely too old and
it has no Neutron, so that did not work out. I also had to as a question on
Ask Openstack to get up to speed with the python SDK documentation. The
answer I got to my question there provided snippets that did not run, but
they kickstarted my understanding of the SDK, so they were more than welcome
and extremely useful in that respect.

Next milestone: get the other parts of the app deployed and running (at
least 3 more VMs) and get all VMs communicating with each other.

Kind regards,
Bart