[User-committee] [app] Training day (1st AppKit) actions from Tokyo

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Wed Nov 11 18:52:24 UTC 2015

[I subscribe to this list, so no need to cc me]

On 11/10/2015 09:13 PM, David F Flanders wrote:
> If the following people would be so kind as to provide me with the
> following information:
>   a.) contact details for the developer wranglers who help provide
> internal training events/activities at your companies, random leads
> welcome,

The best contact for DreamHost for these activities at the moment is me...

>   b.) name of an app developer who has or is interested in
> developing cloud native applications,

Uhm ... what do you mean? What kind of person do you have in mind?

>   c.) [optional] where we might help advertise the "my first app guide"
> and training day(s)> ?,

How about we start from meetups dedicated to the programming languages
we have coverage for? There have to be groups interested in hearing how
to do things with openstack using Python, Ruby, java, node ...

BTW, I'm at RubyConf in San Antonio next week, in case someone wants to
sit down and work on this list.

>   d.) [optional] opinions on what we need to do with
> developer.openstack.org <http://developer.openstack.org> to make it
> valuable for visiting app developers?

This is probably a different thread because of its wide scope. Who
should it serve? Personas would be good to have.

> @All* I would really also appreciate your ideas for what your
> organisation might expect in terms of an "app kit" for training days,

To start defining the scope, I'd like the focus of such kit to be on
applications that stay within the scope of DefCore, meaning applications
that use only the minimal set of APIs/functionalities guaranteed to be
on all OpenStack clouds.  I'd like to avoid getting excited about new
things that are not as widespread or not under the OpenStack Powered mark.

As I mentioned before, the First App guide is quite comprehensive and
IMO it's suitable for being broken up into smaller bits consumable for
casual readers. For example, I used the introduction of the first app
for a 5 minutes presentation in Tokyo and a series of extremely small
asciicasts (ah, neologisms :)) to demonstrate how to do things with
Shade on DreamCompute (on https://asciinema.org/~smaffulli). Small
content like might be useful to get search results when people search
'how to $DO_THING with openstack'.

/stef