[User-committee] User survey feedback

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Sat Jun 13 13:35:47 UTC 2015

Rich,

Thanks for the feedback. It is very welcome.

As regards the sample size, there are two variables:

A. The number of people who fill in the survey since the previous time
B. The window that we use to select the statistics (i.e. 6 months, 12 months, ...)

For A, I'd be very pleased if we can encourage more responses. We do ask for this at the various meetups and walk-up stations at summits. I am certainly aware of a significant number of deployments which have not been reported as part of the survey despite the NDA. Given the multiple deployment models of OpenStack, I suspect we may be getting a bias on those who follow mailing lists, twitter feeds etc. rather than those who use an OpenStack distribution.

For B, we can increase the coverage by accepting deployments that were filled out after a certain time (such as updated between 6 and 12 months ago). Doing so gives a significant increase in the numbers but at the expense of getting an out of date view. Statistics like the deployed version or number of nodes are time dependent and taking less current data risks giving an incorrect picture. Thus, we have preferred using percentages and a smaller window.

The last two surveys we have moved to percentage based deployments to allow analysis of trends and tried to keep the questions consistent. However, the answers to some questions have clearly shown the needs to add further options/clarifications. Thus, a 1-to-1 comparison is not always possible.

I'd be happy to have suggestions on how to best represent the community in these reports while reflecting how quickly the nature of the OpenStack deployments can change.

Tim