[User-committee] [app] The Potential for an `App on OpenStack` ML

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Wed Jun 10 12:56:48 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 3:34 AM, Stefano Maffulli <stefano at openstack.org>
wrote:

> On 06/04/2015 01:02 AM, Tom Fifield wrote:
> > We've touched several times on the issue that "people building apps on
> > openstack have no place to hang out", and a couple of times it's been
> > posited that we should have a mailing list to service this purpose.
>
> TL;DR I would suggest to make it when there is enough traffic and a
> team, with appropriate resources that requires the creation of a new list.
>
> It's a hard call to make. Reading the etherpad, I see two main reasons
> for a new list:
>
> 1) internal, focusing on the OpenStack project and teams; for things
> like discussions among the Application Ecosystem Working Group, user
> survey app dev section discussions, Summit track discussion etc
>
> 2) external, facing the App Developers: Questions/Answers about
> developing apps on OpenStack, External SDK announcements,
>
> And a couple of borderline topics, like Application Catalogue and
> openstack SDK Developers that may fit in either or both of the two.
>
> I think that for the internal topics this User Committee list should be
> enough and the apps-related traffic would be good for building up the
> working group.
>
> For #2, I would focus on high level strategy first: do we want to reach
> out to Apps developers where they are or do we want to have them come to
> us? I am in favor of them come to us and I don't think that a mailing
> list will be what would make them come.

I agree with Stef, for what it's worth. Deployment tools will go a long way
to entice involvement, and we've only just started.

I'd also like to meet more app devs personally for the work we're doing on
the API docs. If you have contacts who would like to chat with me for a
half hour, please let me know.
Thanks,
Anne

> I would focus on designing what experience we want to give to
> application developers first, and think of the tools later. In either
> cases, proper resources need to be allocated (and the Foundation is
> hiring for this, too).
>
> /stef

Anne Gentle
Rackspace