[User-committee] OpenStack Sample Application

Chris C. Kemp chris.c.kemp at nebula.com
Thu Feb 19 20:49:41 UTC 2015

>> If there was enough interest, we wanted to propose that we bring folks
>> interested together to collaboratively develop a set of "core
>> requirements" for the application.

> Do you not follow this mailinglist? There are already plans for a OpenStack sample application including a document how to use this sample > application. Please get in contact with Tom Fifield and join this working group to share efforts.

Please have a look at the following threads on this mailinglist, written a few days ago.

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/user-committee/2015-February/000344.html

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/user-committee/2015-February/000348.html

Christian.

I have spoken to top on several occasions in the past week (before he posted this message, I believe), and we have discussed the need to develop code for tutorials.   What I am proposing may be related to this effort, but I believe has a different audience and scope, which is why we wanted to get a conversation going on the mailing list.    Tom can also comment, but I believe the goal for the tutorials is to create fairly small, simple, self-contained code snippets to illustrate how certain things work.  A sample/demo application is a larger more comprehensive application that demonstrates all of the features of OpenStack simultaneously, in a compelling way.  It will also not be static - it will evolve with OpenStack and demonstrate the value of OpenStack's core capabilities.    I believe that sections of code from this larger sample application could be repurposed in the form of tutorials.    In any case, I believe that Tom's initiative was primarily aimed at creating straightforward and easy to understand documentation and tutorials, and what is being proposed here is largely aimed at demonstrating the full breadth of OpenStack's capabilities in a compelling way that will demonstrate interoperability between OpenStack implementations and the overall capabilities of OpenStack's core capabilities.    I hope this provides some additional context.    I welcome you to join the conversation about how these initiatives are related to each other and can be cross-leveraged.

Chris