[User-committee] OpenStack Sample Application

Chris C. Kemp chris.c.kemp at nebula.com
Wed Feb 18 22:09:14 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking more about the conversation many of us had at the Paris Summit around the best way to help advance the Application Ecosystem working Group, and in particular the idea of a standard OpenStack "Sample Application."

Many of you are aware of the Java J2EE "Pet Store" sample application, or the .NET "IBuySpy Portal" sample application.   These applications were used to demonstrate the core capabilities of these platforms, and served to illustrate the typical design decisions and tradeoffs developers make when building applications for these platforms.   Running an application on OpenStack presents a number of opportunities and challenges to those that may be otherwise familiar with running applications on traditional virtualized infrastructure, or are accustomed to some of the features in various public cloud platforms.

I, as well as Bill Franklin, have been socializing this idea with some of our peers here in Silicon Valley, and there seems to be a lot of interest in the idea of developing a sample application for OpenStack.   The application could be itself an OpenStack project, and could have a set of community defined requirements such as "must use OpenStack core capabilities" and could be used to demonstrate portability between different OpenStack implementations.  Furthermore, just as code from PetStore found itself into thousands of applications, this application could serve as a fantastic starting point for developers that are building next generation applications targeting the OpenStack platform.

If there was enough interest, we wanted to propose that we bring folks interested together to collaboratively develop a set of "core requirements" for the application.  We could then perhaps work with the Foundation to crowdsource a "concept" for the application (It's 2015, I think the OpenStack Community can do better than a Pet Store, or a Spy Shop, right?).  We could, with sufficient interest and sponsorship, have a hackathon around the Vancouver Summit to build the first prototype.  I know there are a few folks from Nebula, HP and other companies that would love to chip in.   Please let me know what you think here on the mailing list, and if there is enough interest we can schedule an online discussion to discuss further.

Best,
Chris