[User-committee] [App] Application Eco WG - meeting - "first app tutorial"

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Tue Feb 10 15:18:53 UTC 2015

Thank you very much to those who attended.

For those who couldn't make it, the recording can be found at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahc5IsUdeK0

General agreement in the meeting was reached on the following points ( a
video version of this can be found at 47 minutes into the video):

* There is a burning need for this tutorial, the aim as stated will meet
it and we need to achieve it as soon as possible
* A simple, minimal approach is required and creating a custom
application is the best way to achieve this (eg
https://github.com/fifieldt/openstack-firstapp based on the RabbitMQ
tutorial)
* Application shouldn't star more than the education, but creating
something functional with a story behind it that could be used to more
easily demonstrate scaling is desirable
* We will use SDKs, and multi-cloud toolkits are acceptable unless their
use causes additional confusion/complication
* Ideal tutorial will be prose with code snippets, where code snippets
from various languages can be substituted in
* Preference to start with Python, but will also look to achieve Java,
Ruby, PHP, node.js and C#
* Need to determine how the progression section-by-section will go. Will
it be more and more automation, or more and more durability?
* Section 1 aim makes sense, as does scaling up later down the track and
additional services like Heat, Ceilometer is desirable down the track
* Need to find 6 testers for testing the material (Chuck Burkett, Dana
Bauer signed up)
* The guide will be sent to OSSG for security analysis as part of the
post production

Regards,

Tom