[User-committee] User Committee Meeting Monday

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Mon Dec 14 06:33:20 UTC 2015

On 12/13/2015 01:54 PM, Roland Chan wrote:
> This analysis and followup you describe is the normal approach to an NPS
> survey,

The thing is that the user survey was published in October, you
mentioned the NPS thing over a month ago and meanwhile no analysis has
been done.

[...] I don't see that
> responding to the verbatim responses and analysing the NPS score are
> mutually exclusive, particularly since we have to outsource the
> analysis, and it does not distract us in the slightest.

They are mutually exclusive when you have limited resources and
volunteers as in this group. It should be enough proof to look at how
this group has focused on looking at the score itself and not at the
actions to follow up. How else do you explain that he NPS was first
introduced in May and then repeated in October, but nobody has brought
up following up to respondents?

> The analysis I've requested is to attempt to draw correlations between
> high/low/medium scores and other factors. As you point out, it could be
> particular vendors (or in fact use of any vendor) that is driving a
> scores higher or lower. It could also be any number of other things.

Feel free to have fun slicing and dicing a number meant for a different
"industry". I just would like people to be aware that there are better
things to do and that are not being done.

> Whilst we do have heaps of anecdotal evidence that can guide us, one
> thing anecdotal evidence isn't good for is identifying trends and
> progress over time. In any NPS driven program it is critical to listen
> to the verbatim comments as they can provide important direction.

you're not addressing my criticism to NPS applied to a collaboration
effort that has a widely diverse kind of customers (from DIY operators
to students to app developers...) and a very different kind of "product"
released every 6 months. You tell me how you think you can identify
trends in this environment, how much effort this will take (time and
expertise), what the outcome will be. I'm still convinced that it's
better to dedicate time and resource to readily actionable tasks.

/stef