[User-committee] User Survey Update

Lauren Sell lauren at openstack.org
Thu Aug 20 20:33:38 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

A few members of the Foundation staff (Jonathan, Tom, Heidi Joy and I) along with Subbu Allamaraju and Jon Proulx from the User Committee met on Monday to talk about how we improve and continue to evolve the user survey. Tim Bell has of course been involved in prior discussions, but he was not able to make it in person :)

I wanted to share what we discussed, and give everyone a heads up that we scheduled a working session at the Tokyo Summit to discuss future improvements, including building out a specific survey working group / team. From my perspective, the overall takeaways from our meeting were:
We want to increase transparency of results without exposing confidential information. This will start with more comprehensive reporting this cycle, and ideally some kind of live interface in the future (think stackalytics lite)
We want to increase participation and quality of data by simplifying and improving the actual survey experience this cycle, and ideally looking toward automated tests that might be able to report some of the deployment details in the future. We also want to decouple individual feedback from the deployment profile, because some people feel like they shouldn’t feel out the survey if their colleague already created a deployment
We want to get more community involvement in the process to make sure we’re serving all the important groups in the community. We have to guard against survey sprawl, but it’s important to get a broader group involved in the process
A few rough notes from our meeting are provided below. Feedback welcome.

Please keep an eye out and help us promote the survey in September, and join the working group session in Tokyo (Thursday at 11:50 am) if you’re interested in getting involved next cycle.

Thanks,
Lauren

Purpose of the Survey:
- Provide a practical feedback loop to OpenStack developers who are adding features and improving the software
- Help operators understand choices their peers and end users are making
- Keep a pulse on trends and in the community
- Determine most popular use cases / business problems and how they are being addressed
- Help vendors plan their product roadmaps based on technology decisions and pain points
- Create a database of deployments and users to help build out the community
- Report and communicate to press/industry analysts how community is growing and evolving

Rough Timeline for Liberty Cycle:
- Survey updates through September 4th
- Launch and promote survey early-to-mid September
- Close survey Sept 27, and start data analysis
- Publish report October 19

Updates / Goals for Liberty Cycle:
- Reduce and simplify current survey questions
- Add feature for those who create deployments to add their teammates to the deployment and encourage them to also provide feedback
- Engage with PTLs to make sure we’re asking questions about hot issues to which they need operator feedback
- Increase quality and depth of reporting

Future Improvements:
- Live reporting tool for deployment profiles, similar to stackalytics (but only for aggregated data)
- Automate reporting of deployment details through optional testing
- More incentives to take the survey, perhaps as an operator in the database it’s on your badge at the Summit, or discount code for the Summit