[User-committee] OpenStack End User Working Group

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Thu Sep 11 03:21:10 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Stefano Maffulli <stefano at openstack.org>
wrote:

> On 09/10/2014 11:49 AM, Rochelle.RochelleGrober wrote:
> > [Rocky Grober] Some parts of the developer documents will be useful
> > for enduser developers, such as the API docs (which really are for
> > all developers in/on OpenStack), but many of the documents are
> > specifically focused on OpenStack *code* developers.  I think
> > Endusers, Operators and Docs teams need to work to determine which
> > docs belong where, and with links to the main pages where the other
> > OpenStack documents live (with a short description of the focus of
> > those other document libraries).  For instance, I don't really see
> > the Gerrit Workflow document being particularly useful for the
> > enduser community.
>
> I haven't conveyed my thoughts clearly. I'll try again.
>
> 1) I noticed that the word "developer" appears on
> http://developer.OpenStack.org and on http://docs.OpenStack.org/developer

Yep, and I like the way developer.mozilla.org handles it with a single
landing page.

> 2) developer.Mozilla.org referenced as an example clearly caters for all
> sorts of different 'developers' (from Firefox to Firefox OS to html5
> apps to tools and more...)
>
> Since:
> - we all seem to agree that the word 'developer' means different things
> in different contexts and
> - well designed information flow can help the readers select their own
> paths based on their own needs, and
> - Docs.openstack.org is being redesigned and
> - currently developer.openstack.org is pretty much a static page with
> curated links to outside resources
>
> I don't think it's inappropriate to give a serious thought to widening
> the scope of the portal developers.openstack.org.

Sure, and yes, we do need the redesign work to integrate all the subsites
but especially these two.

> It's with that in mind, and with the wider picture of a re-design of
> Docs.openstack.org that I suggest thinking holistically.
>
> We may want to continue this conversation on another list though as I
> think it may be off-topic here.

Yeah it's really tough to do info design on a mailing list. But I did want
to pipe in with a few thoughts.

I went to lunch with one of the community managers at Mozilla just the
other week. (Fun fact: she is the one who pointed out the OpenStack job to
me four years ago.) I often pick her brain about how they are doing content
development as well as how they are building developer communities. So I
know a LOT about how developer.mozilla.org is put together and yes there
are parallels in their different developers and OpenStack's varied
developers. The most interesting parallel is in their trying to get devs to
write apps for their phone platform. They found that Africa (Tunisia
perhaps?) was their central geo-location for the most activity on their
phone platform. They've done a lot with local ambassador programs for app
devs.

We need to ask our super users to tell us the best apps they're supporting.
We need to discover the people doing this "walk then talk" developer
advocacy: https://medium.com/@romannurik/walk-then-talk-3b935bfe5484

Everett's for sure doing the walk-n-talk, let's keep gathering community
members who walk-n-talk. :) And let's get info they need in a great design
- info and web both.
Thanks,
Anne