[User-committee] OpenStack End User Working Group

Everett Toews everett.toews at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Sep 10 14:24:46 UTC 2014

On Sep 9, 2014, at 12:07 AM, Chris C. Kemp <chris.c.kemp at nebula.com> wrote:

> I think that this topic is broader than just Application Ecosystems, however, so I don't want to overly constrain the discussion, given the initial focus on End Users (Application Developers are a subset of End users).  This would be a good topic for further discussion.

Up to this point there has been general consensus that this working group would be focused on the people developing and operating the OpenStack application ecosystem.

The term end user is very much relative depending on who you’re talking to and is overloaded in meaning. Up to now the term end user in the OpenStack community has meant the operators who build and maintain an OpenStack cloud itself. They already have their own IRC channel, mailing list, and working group.

To provide focus for this group we need to decide who the audience is. If we include everyone, we won’t be relevant to anyone.

For our purposes, an OpenStack end user is anyone who interacts with an OpenStack cloud via its public APIs.

We’ve been discussing this exact topic for the past 20 emails when Tom kicked it off by rightly asking us to define what "end user" is. If you have input on that definition, I invite you to share it. Here and now is the place for further discussion.

> If Tom can make a room available for a working group discussion in Paris, I would be very happy to help organize an agenda and promote the discussion.

Sounds good. It’s best to start a separate thread here on the user-committee list to get the agenda hashed out. A proper agenda will probably require agreement on who our audience is.

Thanks,
Everett