[User-committee] Telcom Working Group

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Sat Oct 25 12:23:38 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Andrew Mitry" <amitry at gmail.com>
> To: "Steve Gordon" <sgordon at redhat.com>
>
> Hello all,
>
> I spoke with Carol today and wanted to detail what the original thought
> around the telco working group was.  At the Atlanta summit we saw a
> proliferation of vendors trying to address the telco/service provider space
> and much of the value add they were claiming to offer was around making
> OpenStack operate at "carrier grade" scale with key functionality such as
> IPv6.  When I discussed this with my peers at DT, Orange, TWC and AT&T we
> agreed that would rather work towards maturing OpenStack by providing
> feedback and develop support directly in the community.
>
> There are many use cases that are unique to telco/service providers that
> don't always get represented in the community as much as we thought they
> should.  Some examples maybe IPv6, support for apps with high connections
> per second (DNS, Voice), high bandwidth apps (CDN, Video).  We were hoping
> to flesh these use cases out in the working group and coordinate how we
> could bring the appropriate developer support and operator feedback to move
> things along.
>
> We did see this working group as primarily operator rather than vendor
> driven, but vendors of course would be welcome.
>
> I hope that helps provide some context.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew

Hi Andrew,

What I am still looking for is some explanation of how this new group would differ from the existing one, and as importantly if the answer is not significantly what the barriers were to operator participation in the existing group? The issues you outline above actually overlap with the goals the existing effort more so than Carol's original outline.

The BoF meetings where the existing group was formed in Atlanta were well attended by operators, equipment providers, and vendors (and this is reflected on the membership page) though it would admittedly have been great to see more participation particularly from operators throughout the cycle.

If the only issue is who facilitates the group I am (very) open to someone else taking that role, but it is important that whoever does facilitate understands how to productively engage the development community.

Thanks,

Steve

> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 4:22 PM, Steve Gordon <sgordon at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I spoke with Carol on the phone earlier to try and clarify the situation
> > but wanted to ensure my thoughts are recorded on the list as well. By way
> > of background I currently facilitate the existing NFV sub team with the
> > help of a couple of others (volunteers welcome!) which consists of people
> > from service providers, network equipment providers, and OpenStack vendors
> > interested in this space:
> >
> >     https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/NFV
> >
> > It's thus far been primarily focussed on identifying use
> > cases/requirements for NFV, turning these into actionable OpenStack
> > blueprints, and finally implementing these. This effort started in Atlanta,
> > made some progress in Juno, and is now hoping to regroup in Paris to drive
> > further improvements in Kilo.

Steve Gordon, RHCE
Sr. Technical Product Manager,
Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform