[User-committee] OpenStack End User Working Group

Scheessele, Evan (Corvallis) evan.scheessele at hp.com
Fri Aug 22 22:21:11 UTC 2014

Agreed re operators versus seeking a definition of users. Operators are essential of course, but users deserve their own clear voice too. As must as I'd like to leave the proposed users definition as constrained by "via its public APIs" I have to admit to knowing plenty of examples of users who work on deploying and supporting applications on top of an OpenStack cloud deployment via Heat's and others' CLIs, via Puppet and/or Cloudify, via FOG, and just directly via the Horizon web UI. Those aren't directly with the APIs by owned code, but still use the public (mostly) APIs underneath.

This isn't refined language, but maybe something along these lines as to not exclude those packagers and integrators who we'd call 'users' but aren't coders:
 " An OpenStack end user is anyone who interacts with and makes use of an OpenStack cloud via its public APIs, directly via code or indirectly via abstraction or Horizon "

My colloquial version is just: "Anyone getting work done on top of an OpenStack deployment"

Evan Scheessele
HP Publishing Solutions