[User-committee] Fwd: OpenStack personas (basis for further work)

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Fri Nov 1 16:14:31 UTC 2013

On 10/31/2013 10:07 PM, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> In preparation for next week, I've added several more draft (*early*
> draft) personas to the Google Doc, and would love to get feedback and
> discussion going on them.
>
> Ideally, we would match these up against user survey results & feedback,
> do some interviews to ensure we're not gone too far off track, and then
> start applying the results to docs, user interface, marketing and even
> development & feature planning.
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/16rkiXWxxgzGT47_Wc6hzIPzO2-s2JWAPEKD0gP2mt7E/edit?usp=sharing
>
> I would love to hear back from you all, and of course to see many of you
> next Friday in my Personas presentation in Hong Kong.

When I demo OpenStack - both setup and usage - I use a slide with these
informal personas and then demo with "changing virtual hats":

* Kevin: Hardware setup and OS deployment
* Susanna: Cloud infrastructure deployment
* Richard: Cloud administrator
* Matt: Delivers solutions to end users
* Many: Using the service the virtual machine provides, e.g. writing and
reading blog posts

I think Kevin is missing in your mix. Also, I'm not really seeing a
match for Richard. Richard is the guy that setups new OpenStack
projects/tenants and users - so administration of a running cloud. Did I
oversee that or was that implicit in Anna's description?

Dave, your personas look great with just a little bit too much detail
for my taste. I got a little bit lost to figure out who does what and
would need some kind of summary.

What about adding some kind of "table" for each persona like the
following (this needs to be refined, just a quick writeup) to make
clearer their usage of the cloud (could be also an overall summary table):
* X is an admin of the cloud
* X uses the cloud - launches images
* X configures OpenStack
* X enhances the OpenStack software itself
* X builds software that uses OpenStack APIs
* X deploys OpenStack

Just looking at Brad: I think his primary goal is to "use the cloud" but
to achieve that he needs to "deploy OpenStack", and "configure OpenStack".

Andreas