[User-committee] Weekly community newsletter - deployment news

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Thu May 2 16:13:22 UTC 2013

I have talked with colleagues at the Foundation about the idea of
broadcasting more widely the results of the survey and found some concerns.

Quoting Thierry:

> It's a bit of a double-edged sword.
>
> If during a few weeks you have a very small number of new respondents
> or things that are obviously small ("John Smith's Garage"), it looks
> like you're not E.N.T.E.R.P.R.I.S.E. Once you start mentioning them,
> it also looks like those are "all your users" whereas we all know
> that the survey only represents a fraction of them -- and people with
> bad intent to derive false numbers for OpenStack users. It's not the
> same for the "new developers" as this data is public anyway and
> nobody contests that we have the largest dev community in the space.
>
> Personally I think new users are better handled in the
> regular-but-not-weekly marketing "OpenStack News" and in case
> studies, where you don't pretend to show "all of them" and you can
> spice selected stories with more detail.

I agree with him and others that shared the same concerns. We should be
very careful about using the survey as a source of data for a weekly
newsletter.

I like a lot more the shared bookmarking of news that are already
public. This way the community weekly newsletter still becomes more
balanced between development of openstack and its usage. Having news
collected may also help the Foundation discover new installations that
are not known or registered in the survey (thus it becomes a source for
the pipeline).

On Mon 29 Apr 2013 10:02:23 AM PDT, Arvind Srinivasan wrote:
> I really like the idea of the shared bookmarking, but with the
> ability to upvote more interesting stories and bubble them up to the
> top a la Digg.

The easiest thing to do is to use Twitter (I scan twitter feed in search
of news that are not press releases) and/or reddit (there is an
openstack subreddit http://www.reddit.com/r/openstack/). If you find a
story that is worth of attention, reddit and/or tweet it (mention
openstack in the tweet).

Now the question is: which tool shall we prefer and how do we
incentivate to use it? Ideas are welcome.

/stef