[User-committee] User developers

Everett Toews everett.toews at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Jun 18 22:05:46 UTC 2013

On Jun 18, 2013, at 12:58 PM, Ryan Lane wrote:

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM, Stefano Maffulli <stefano at openstack.org<mailto:stefano at openstack.org>> wrote:
On Tue 18 Jun 2013 10:26:20 AM PDT, Dave Neary wrote:
> It probably makes more sense to talk about OpenStack (or platform)
> developers, OpenStack (or platform) operators and application
> developers. Also I would add OpenStack distributors and integrators, and
> public cloud vendors (which are a special class of openstack operator).

I tend to use similar naming as Dave's except that I use the term
"consumers" or the longer version "consumers of OpenStack APIs" when
referring to developers of applications based on OpenStack.

And that's also indeed the definition used in the charter ;).

This is closer to what I was aiming at. However, I find the term "consumer" or "OpenStack consumer" to broad and vague. If I'm talking to someone who isn't very familiar with OpenStack they'll have no idea what I mean.

"consumers of the OpenStack API" is exactly what I'm talking about but personally I find I have to really parse the term for its meaning. Saying something like that in a conversation is a mouthful and could be off-putting in some contexts where the audience aren't necessarily developers.

I'm warming up to "application developers" or "OpenStack application developers". It's simple, has a specific enough meaning, is well-known, and works both inside and outside of the OpenStack community.

Everett