[User-committee] [openstack-dev] Discussing Amazon API compatibility [Nova][Swift]

Burt Holzman burt at fnal.gov
Wed Jul 31 14:35:12 UTC 2013

On 7/31/2013 2:47 AM, Tim Bell wrote:
> Sorry for the problems you've encountered.
>
> Is it for the bug reported at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1098646 ?
>
> We're currently working through with the OpenStack foundation how to
> structure user feedback and I feel strongly that there should be a
> mechanism for user contribution through bug reports without requiring
> code contribution.

Hi Tim,

Yes, that was the bug. I think my mistake was filing the bug through
launchpad and suggesting a patch -- if I had asked on IRC or the mailing
lists, I may have gotten a different answer.  On the other hand, I don't
know how long it would have taken for another developer to write a fix
and get it into a release.

At that point, I thought that we found bugs and missing calls in the EC2
API that I'd need to write the code to fix and push it through the
review process. Which I've been doing (1) and has been fun (I don't get
to develop much code as a facility manager!), but is probably not the
answer for everybody.

- B

(1) https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:merged+owner:burt,n,z