[User-committee] Fwd: [openstack-dev] Discussing Amazon API compatibility [Nova][Swift]

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Tue Jul 30 21:52:36 UTC 2013

On Mon 29 Jul 2013 05:23:47 PM PDT, Joshua McKenty wrote:
> If we ever have users who feel like they have to "sign the CLA and
> submit a patch", then we've failed to establish the type of community
> that we've been going for.

We should avoid generalizing. This is the first time I hear of a user
pointing at a problem and that such user is directly asked to submit a
patch: there are other and much simpler ways to respond to user requests
from asking to file a bug report or start a discussion on a mailing
list. Pointing users to the CLA is one possible outcome of a much
lengthier discussion that I hope happens before the 'go ahead and code
it yourself'.

Burt: do you have more details to share about this incident you're
talking about?

> Burt, please meet Tim Bell and Ryan Lane - the chairs of the
> still-unfortunately-nascent OpenStack Foundation User Committee, and
> the folks who are responsible for being your non-patching voice within
> the developer echo-chamber.

Sarcasm doesn't travel on the Internet: there is no developer
echo-chamber, there are only groups with diverse interests and constant
mediation is needed.

I and Tom Fifield are also available to listen and support discussion
within the development teams.

/stef