[User-committee] Weekly community newsletter - deployment news

Everett Toews everett.toews at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Apr 23 01:44:53 UTC 2013

On Apr 22, 2013, at 11:55 AM, Tim Bell wrote:

I'm not clear from your reply if you agree with the proposal to add a 'Deployment News' section to the news letter.

Currently, the survey results are private to the user committee and foundation (even the ones that were marked as willing to share).
Automating the production of 'declared this week and marked as public' would be a good way to continue to advertise that the user
survey should be added to (if people have forgotten) and also give a good call-out for those deployments.

User stories serve a larger need (and have a much higher cost for both the foundation and the organisation concerned).

To be clear, I wasn't talking about user stories in my email. Too long and involved. I was thinking more along the lines of a simple blog post by the application developer.

In the "Deployment News" section what did you have in mind? I was thinking along the lines of this example,

CompanyX: We deployed OpenStack on 10,000 cores over 2,000 nodes running kvm, lvm, etc. etc. and 3 PB of object storage. Lorem ipsum... We did this to support developers building applications for WidgetX.

My vision for the "Application News" section was similar. As in the example,

CompanyY: We deployed an application on an OpenStack cloud with an architecture of 1 load balancer, 10 web servers, and 2 DBs. Lorem ipsum... This application does AwesomeThing.

Maybe we'll even get lucky and run into the case where we see a deployment by CompanyZ in "Deployment News" and then a few months later we start seeing applications by CompanyZ appear in "Application News". Either way, I think it would make for compelling stories.

My original idea was to make the "Deployment News" and "Application News" just one section called "OpenStack Users". But that might be confusing because of the many meanings of users in the draft charter [1]. The application developers I speak of are "consumers" by that definition.

The real point of all of this is to not forget about application developers. Ultimately it's the application developers that will truly drive forward OpenStack adoption.

Regards,
Everett

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yD8TfqUik2dt5xo_jMVHMl7tw9oIJnEndLK8YqEToyo/edit