[Transparency] Transparency Committee meeting

Steve Hallett Steve_Hallett at symantec.com
Mon Mar 30 23:11:52 UTC 2015

To: Transparency list
Cc: Foundation Board list

The transparency committee has not had a chance to meet since Mar Board meeting. We have some open actions items from Mar meeting, and prior to Apr Board meeting.

I am unclear as to definitive current committee member list, therefore am cc:ing entire board, foundation board list, as well as transparency committee list.

I apologize for late notice, and the scheduling conflict, but did want to find a timezone that would support global participants. (Meeting invite to follow separately)

[X]

OpenStack Transparency Committee

Mar 31 Agenda rough outline
*       Chair status
*       Committee member status
*       Report Card:
o       How are we doing relative to stated goals and commitments?
*       Top-of-mind issues for discussion
o       Open items from Mar 3 Board meeting
*       Recommendations and read-out to Board for Apr 2 Board meeting
*       Set date/time for next committee meeting

To join etherpad discussion: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Transparency_Committee_Meeting_(Mar_31,_2015)

[X]

Transparency Policy
http://www.openstack.org/legal/transparency-policy/

Committee page:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Foundation/TransparencyCommittee

[X]

WIP

>From Kavit's Mar 1 email to Board for Agenda items:

Transparency
1.      Set usage rules for sending email to the confidential Board list (done)
2.      Ensure community feedback in the decision making process for those rules (wip)
3.      Regular reports from the transparency committee (wip)

>From Jonathan's post Mar 3 NYC Board meeting email:

"Finally, the Board wrapped up with an hour-long discussion about transparency and diversity. Discussion points included implementing better mailing list procedures, potential changes to the Transparency Policy and how Board Members can better engage with and support all of our global communities. Sean Roberts is picking up the Transparency Committee work, which will convene in the next few weeks to follow up on the discussion with more concrete recommendations and actions on that front. Also, Robert Esker started a thread on this list to discuss potential updates to the Transparency Policy."

In process edits to Transparency Policy

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FeSSw1r3imd6B-Wf2oj5VcwekhNF-jtv5upNh1PTGDc/edit#<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FeSSw1r3imd6B-Wf2oj5VcwekhNF-jtv5upNh1PTGDc/edit>

[X]

Thoughts (and questions) on Transparency:

What
*       Decision Making
*       Spending
*       Vendor Influence
*       Community Participation
*       Why contributions are accepted or rejected
*       ...

Who is accountable to whom?
*       Foundation
*       Board
*       TC
*       Members
*       ...

[X]

Separate item if time:

(Not sure whether to keep within Transparency committee)

Diversity & Inclusion
1.      Establishment of a diversity committee, with a remit to ensure diversity at the board, Foundation staff and project contributor levels
2.      Regular reports on diversity released bi-annually
3.      Expert review of the bylaws for other discriminatory content
a.      Extend Travel Support for individual directors. Prohibitively expensive for unsponsored individual directors. Only one trip presently with 4 x F2F per annum
b.      (example 2 - Affiliation criteria is non inclusive. Proposal to change $ amount to a % of the income earned)
4.      The foundation must have a published diversity and inclusion policy that covers the Foundation employees AND its actions with respect to the community. The board needs to set the direction for the Foundation to follow and the Foundation executive should have these goals included in their performance criteria.