[Product] OpenStack UX Status: Week of 02/29/2016

Kruithof Jr, Pieter pieter.kruithof.jr at intel.com
Tue Mar 1 16:32:03 UTC 2016

Hiya,

Here is an overview of activities within the OpenStack UX project.  Please
forward as appropriate.

Cheers,

Piet

‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

1) Please review the proposed Swift panel in Invision.
https://invis.io/TC69O9MQ4

2) The OpenStack UX team has offered to help the foundation by assigning
meaning to the open-ended questions from the bi-annual survey.

3) Dan Kingshott to be added as OpenStack UX core

4) Persona Work Session II to be held from Wednesday, March 30th - Friday,
April 1st at BestBuy’s facilities in Seattle

‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹

REVIEWS NEEDED

Please review the proposed Swift panel at
Invision.https://invis.io/3N5OYA3JP

‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹

BI-ANNUAL SURVEY QUALITATIVE ANALYSIS
The foundation has asked the OpenStack UX team to help with assigning
meaning to the open-ended questions from the bi-annual survey.  This would
essentially be an affinity session where participants sort note cards on a
wall based on their meaning. Travis, Matt, Tyr may remember doing a
similar activity for the open-ended questions that were collected from the
Launch Instance usability this past spring.

In the process of guilting HPE into hosting the effort at their facilities
in Fort Collins. I¹ll buy pizza. ;^)

Note that Heidi would likely be supportive of hosting a similar effort in
London if Rob, Beth, Claudio and Konstantinos have available cycles. Also,
the HPE design team may also want to consider running a sorting effort in
Seattle as well.

‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹

NEW OPENSTACK UX CORE

Please welcome Dan Kingshott as new OpenStack UX core.  His contributions
as an operator with significant experience with large OpenStack deployment
will have a huge impact on this project.

‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹

Seattle Persona Working Session II

Proposing that the focus of the sessions will be to add three additional
personas: Cloud Consumer (End User), Project Owner and Domain Owner.
Obviously, most of the content will be generated at the working session,
but the general description includes:

Cloud Consumer:  “I consume the cloud as an app developer.”
* Does not contribute to either deployment or operations of the cloud.
* The key to this persona is to acknowledge that they do not commit code
to the individual cloud project/services.
* Don’t care about open source.

Project Owner: “I manage resources within my project”
* Cloud Consumer +
* Add/remove project-specific resources from such as users
* Does not have visibility to the operations of the overall cloud
* Operators like project owners because they assume of the administrative
burden

Domain Owner: “I manage cloud consumption for my specific business.”
* Negotiate cloud services for group.
* Doesn't actually consume cloud services themselves
* Cannot take actions that impact the overall cloud
* Monitoring adherence to SLA is huge
* Does not have visibility to the operations of the overall cloud

I also would like to spend some time with the team to understand how the
personas change based on whether this is a public cloud, private cloud or
an academic cloud.