[Product] MidCycle Raw Notes and Actions

Kenny Johnston kencjohnston at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 09:51:06 UTC 2016

Hi team,

For those who weren't able to join us, last night we wrapped up our Product
Work Group Midcycle in London (well Hayes really). Carol will be sending
more detailed notes which we will discuss during our team meeting on Monday
but I wanted to compile the action items taken on our Etherpad[1] during
our two day working meetings. Some of the context is missing without the
summary, but I wanted to compile the actions for those of us who are on
long-flights over the next couple of days.

*Actions for All PWG Members:*AR: Have a team training on the updated
version of Gerrit that includes edit capability from a Browser
AR: Each company take steps to encourage budgeting review time for their
upstream contributors (ex. 1 day/week or 5 reviews/1submission, etc).
AR: Ahead of the design summits, PWG members discuss priorities with their
developers and gain their commitment to support these priorities in the
pre-design summit discussions and during the actual design summit meetings.
AR: Add "openstack/openstack-user-stories" to your watched Projects on
Gerrit - https://review.openstack.org/#/settings/projects
AR: Socialize the concept of adding development resources (web dev) to the
effort to create a User Story Tracker dashboard within your companies and
Identify resources to participate

*Actions for All PWG User Story Owners:*
AR: Update your user stories to reflect the Appropriate roles; Review in
the PWG team meeting

*Actions for All PWG Cross Project Liasons and Roadmap Team:*
AR: Schedule 15 min interviews with PTLs to discuss and extract the
information for the roadmap, instead of just soliciting info via email.
AR: Each PWG Project Owner needs to provide their input to Shamail/Heidi
Joy by 3/10

*Actions for Rolling Upgrades User Story Team:*
AR: Review Rolling Upgrades related specs (both cross project and single
proejct) and identify any gaps.
AR: Review Available Rolling Upgrade Specs for Gaps or conflicts with User
Story
AR: Edit the User Story to match the updated template, add comment on
Cross-Specs link line to to indicate readiness to submit the User Story
into Cross Project spec (minus the gaps analysis) and integrates the use
cases from the different projects/project specs into the Proposed folder.
Create a corresponding Tracker (will contain 1 object). Target for update
2/26

*Actions for Carol:*
AR: Add Review of User Stories in PWG team meetings? Document dicussions in
Gerrit reviews.
AR: In Monday's PWG Team meeting review the list of projects and owners.
AR: For our Austin meeting. Add a topic on revisiting Themes to the team
meeting in Austin. Discuss adding a cross-project theme
AR: Schedule this discussion for PWG team meeting on 2/29
AR: Add an agenda item to the 2/29 PWG team meeting for
updating/dispositioning existing User Stories into the new work flow and
information model.
AR: Talk to Tom F about updating the moderator guide to add this as a
responsibility of session moderators.
AR: Add Review of Brainstormed New User Stories and Assigned Drafters
AR: Add discussion of Austin plans to gather feedback on 2/22 meeting agenda
AR: Add discussion of Story Board and it's application to our work flow or
meeting opertaions to gather feedback on 2/29 meeting agenda
AR: Create a summary of the mid-cycle discussions and send out to PWG ML
(maintain original version too)

*Actions for Shamail:*
AR: Adjust workflow and repo folder structure for new process - Proposed
Change: Remove Draft folder. The User Story discussion/review happens via
Gerrit thru comments and discussion. When there is agreement on the User
Story, the user story is merged into Proposed.
AR: Create PPT template for CPLs to fill out.
AR: Take all PWG 100-ft view content from CPLs (due 3/11) and provide to
Heidi Joy by 3/16. Ideally, that is just one-slide-per-project (100-ft
view) with the most important new features highlighted, plus one slide on
dominant themes from among the PWG's 5.
AR: Document Concept of User Story Dashboard

*Actions for Rocky:*
AR: Update the Stable Branch User Story per this discussion, Use the new
work flow to advance this User Story,In the next patch move to the Proposed
folder

*Actions for Mike Perez:*
AR: Get the PWG repo included in the test engine so that format and
completeness are automatically checked. Automated Template Check: Shamail,
Mike.
AR: Create 1 place where each Project will list the date/time/format for
their pre-design summitt discussion (similar to the meet-up page).
AR: Explore plan A for building a User Story Tracker with the foundation
and bring update to PWG team meeting.
AR: Propose Adding User Story to the Cross Project Template

*Actions for Heidi Joy:*
AR: Send template for Roadmap collection email & PTL Interview to the PWG ML

*Actions for Kenny:*
AR: Add a field to the User Story Template to link to the Cross-Spec
Entry(s). This is the basis for creating the Tracker for the User Story as
the Cross Spec entry will have links to the Specs for each Project and the
Blueprints to implement that Spec and the Commits that implement the
Blueprint.
AR: Add a field to the User Story Template to link to the User Story
Tracker.
AR: Rename Problem Definition to Problem Description, Edit our template to
make User Stories, Usage Scenarios and Opportunity/Justification as
subsections to Problem description Add CPS Link Field, Remove:
Requirements, Gaps, Affected by Fields.
AR: Create a summary of the Action Items and send out to PWG ML

*Actions for Piet:*
AR: Join the cross-project discussion and work to agree on a common set of
Role names and definitions that the Community can use - from setting
policy, to describing requirements/needs
AR: Contact Heidi Bretz (heidi at openstack.org) for data on the Operators
Certification program and the underlying data

--
Kenny Johnston
[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/PWG-LON16-MidCycle