[Product] [Product-wg] Capacity/Quota Management User Stories - Meeting Minutes - 20151002

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Fri Oct 2 21:53:47 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Jesse, Deepak, Leong and myself met today to discuss the Capacity Quota Management user stories, in particular discussing these artifacts and how the use cases they contain do or don't align with both each other and the draft currently in git [1]:

* Headroom and capacity management:
  - https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxtM4AiszlEyfm9UTW5LMEQ5cUhHbmFsSkd5WFNfdTMwVFIwRUM1TVFXSHhhWHl6VHlpRzg&usp=sharing

* Reserving resources for applications:
  - https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxtM4AiszlEyfm9UTW5LMEQ5cUhHbmFsSkd5WFNfdTMwVFIwRUM1TVFXSHhhWHl6VHlpRzg&usp=sharing

* Infinite elasticity:
  - https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxtM4AiszlEyfm9UTW5LMEQ5cUhHbmFsSkd5WFNfdTMwVFIwRUM1TVFXSHhhWHl6VHlpRzg&usp=sharing

* Quotas, usage plans, capacity management:
  - https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxtM4AiszlEyfm9UTW5LMEQ5cUhHbmFsSkd5WFNfdTMwVFIwRUM1TVFXSHhhWHl6VHlpRzg&usp=sharing

After some discussion we feel that there are three related but separate areas to drill down on:

* Capacity planning (unassigned) - Planning how much capacity is needed when. Currently appeared that at least two participants were using ELK stack to monitor OpenStack logs and extrapolate from this information but there is not as far as we could ascertain a common approach to this problem.
* Capacity control (Steve, Leong) - Determining how to account for, charge (if applicable), and assign (if applicable) resources. In both cases applicability may vary based on public vs private cloud, overall scale, billing approach etc.
* Performance and reliability at scale (Jesse, Deepak) - Verifying that given a specific configuration we are able to provide infinite capacity on demand, e.g. bursts of large numbers of VM creation requests. Defining what a successful cloud looks like in terms of what it can do.

The assignees in brackets took the action item to try and rework the existing content into a gerrit proposal which we can then iterate on using inline commenting etc. as scheduling a voice call was quite challenging and we feel we'll be able to make better immediate progress by taking this approach. As part of this we'll also be trying to ensure the user stories are defined at a high level, it came up in discussion that the current draft seems to be a little to focused on specific approaches (quotas, reservations) which may or may not be the best solutions to the problems at hand (which we are still defining).

Leong, Jesse, Deepak feel free to jump in if you feel that I missed something.

Thanks!

Steve

[1] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/openstack-user-stories/tree/user-stories/draft/capacity_management.rst

--