[Product] [OpenStack][Product WG] 11/23 Team Meeting Agenda and Logistics

Brian Rosmaita brian.rosmaita at RACKSPACE.COM
Sat Nov 21 14:02:43 UTC 2015

Here are some data points for the discussion about IRC scribing or moving
Product WG meetings to IRC.  (This actually happened to me this week when
I was looking for some information, I didn't just dig these examples up
for this email.)

Here's an API WG meeting from two weeks ago:

00:00:12 <elmiko> #startmeeting api wg00:00:13 <openstack> Meeting started
Thu Nov 12 00:00:12 2015 UTC and is due to finish in 60 minutes. The chair
is elmiko. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
00:00:14 <openstack> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea
#link #topic #startvote.
00:00:16 <openstack> The meeting name has been set to 'api_wg'
00:00:52 <elmiko> anyone around to discuss matters of great api importance?
00:05:31 <elmiko> #endmeeting

This was close enough to the summit that I wasn't surprised that no one
was around.  Here's the log from the most recent Product WG meeting:

21:08:18 <sgordon> #startmeeting product_working_group21:08:20 <openstack>
Meeting started Mon Nov 16 21:08:18 2015 UTC and is due to finish in 60
minutes. The chair is sgordon. Information about MeetBot at
http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
21:08:21 <openstack> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea
#link #topic #startvote.
21:08:23 <openstack> The meeting name has been set to
'product_working_group'
21:08:37 <sgordon> #chair Arkady_Kanevsky21:08:39 <openstack> Current
chairs: Arkady_Kanevsky sgordon
21:08:48 <Arkady_Kanevsky> hello
21:08:58 <sgordon> #topic roll call21:09:04 <sarob_> o/
21:09:28 <sgordon> #chair sarob_21:09:28 <openstack> Current chairs:
Arkady_Kanevsky sarob_ sgordon
21:09:32 <KrishR> hello
21:10:11 <sgordon> #chair KrishR21:10:12 <openstack> Current chairs:
Arkady_Kanevsky KrishR sarob_ sgordon
21:10:43 <MeganR> o/
21:10:57 <stephenrwalli> I'm here
21:10:57 <nateziemann> nateziemann is here ;-)
21:11:07 <sgordon> #topic mid-cycle planning21:11:15 <sgordon> #link
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/PWG_Mitaka_Midcycle21:11:28 <leong> o
21:11:32 <dpk_> ping
21:11:32 <leong> o/
21:11:39 <cloudrancher> o/
21:11:42 <dpk_> o/
21:28:06 <Arkady_Kanevsky> thanks to Yih Leong Sun for driving
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/237178/ user story. That impacts upgrade
which is in top 4 stories
21:33:33 <Arkady_Kanevsky> AI: ARkady to follow on user WG mid cycle
meeting
21:59:25 <sgordon> #endmeeting

Scanning the log quickly, I thought at first that only a few people showed
up so the meeting didn't occur.  Then I noticed the timestamps and
realized that the meeting had occurred, but not on IRC.

So I went to the Product WG meeting page and found a link to the etherpad
for the meeting.  That gave me:

Agenda
* Mid-cycle Planning - All
  ** https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/PWG_Mitaka_Midcycle
  ** (sarob) focus on Mike Perez for when and how to bring in the PTLs,
plus allow focus on cross-project use cases for PTL involvement
  ** (sarob) create a timeline matching
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Mitaka_Release_Schedule plus next few
releases and specific goals for this release, plop into the product wiki
  ** AR Carol: Create a schedule, based upon the work flow, with specific
dates for Mitaka and N-release
    *** Adopt the model used by the Release team
* Upgrade User Story Status, Next Steps, HelpNeeded - Kenny Johnston, Yih
Leong Sun
  ** Meeting: Every Tuesday UTC 5pm, 1st meeting start tomorrow Tuesday
Nov 17th.
  **
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ProductTeam/User_Stories/Rolling_Upgrades
  ** Anyone who wish to join please contact Kenny Johnston or Yih Leong Sun
* Opens ­ All
  ** (sarob) Recommend moving meeting date/time from the wiki to the
product team meeting page. Having two places, makes it a bit confusing.
Just leave a link to the product meeting page on the product wiki.
  ** http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/#OpenStack_Product_WG

That tells me the topics discussed, and some action items, but I don't get
any sense of the discussion.  Except for the ethereal nature of the
etherpad, liable to disappear at any time, this is what I'd expect a
scribe would produce during a meeting -- just in IRC, not etherpad.

In contrast, here's a meeting log from the API WG meeting this week (since
I picked on them earlier).  Not going to reproduce it here, you can read
the log online:

http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/api_wg/2015/api_wg.2015-11-19-16.00
.log.html

The auto-generated summary for that meeting looks just like the Product WG
etherpad I pasted above:

http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/api_wg/2015/api_wg.2015-11-19-16.00
.html

Thus, I really encourage the Product WG to adopt IRC meetings.  It would
be really helpful for people like me, who want to follow what's happening
on particular topics but aren't actively involved in the Product WG.
Plus, it's what all the other OpenStack projects do (at least all the cool
ones :) ).

Additionally, I second Kenny's recommendation of JJ's tips & tricks for
IRC meetings (link below).

cheers,
brian