[Product] How use cases works

Shamail itzshamail at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 17:13:55 UTC 2015

Hi Jean-Daniel,

I believe this might partially depend on the impact and scope of what is being asked for...

Here is my personal take on the topic:

#1 If the "feature" you would like to see fits within the scope/functionality of a single project (e.g. nova, neutron, etc.) then I would suggest going through the existing process (whether it's specs, blueprints, or both).

#2 If the "feature" might encounter resistance or might be beneficial to a special interest group (such as enterprise, telco, HPC, etc.). I would still recommend option #1 but you might want to participate in the group with common interest as yours and submit a "use case" to that group so they can track it and possibly help you build further support for the idea.

#3 If the "feature" requires implementation across multiple projects (e.g you might need a blueprint/spec in Nova AND blueprint/RFE in neutron) then writing a "use case" and getting the various blueprints/specs/RFEs tied to it might help from a tracking perspective on whether the holistic capability is implemented

#4 If the "feature" aligns with a known area with multiple parties pursuing it (e.g. logging enhancement, large deployment support, etc.) then I would recommend joining that group and submitting/discussing the idea in that forum so it can be consolidated with other people with the same interest.

Overall, the use case submission is not meant to be repetitive process.  It is required for more complex (complex meaning coordination, effort, scope, etc) ideas so that it can be used to generate multiple blueprints/specs/RFEs to achieve the overall intention.  I think, to a certain aspect, some specs already require a high-level use case too.

Thanks,
Shamail