[Product] How use cases works

Haselmaier, James James.Haselmaier at emc.com
Fri Jun 5 14:28:06 UTC 2015

I haven¹t had a great amount of exposure to Blueprints, but with some
quick scanning my take:

Use Cases should focus on the ³What² that needs to be done.  They should
document the desired outcome and establish clear context and background as
to why that is needed.  The Blueprint should reflect a specific
implementation of how that ³What² will be solved.  The Blueprint documents
the ³How² - the technical details of what will actually be done in the
code/system in order to accomplish addressing the Use Case.  If a Use Case
is written well (IMHO) there might be a variety of ways to solve it.
(I.e. If a ³Use Case² is written such that it specifies how a sw eng is to
implement it then it¹s not a use case.)  It becomes the project team¹s
area of expertise to decide which implementation works the best -
factoring in a variety of factors.  There also may be situations where it
takes multiple Blueprints to solve a single Use Case.

In a perfect world the Blueprint might contain a link to the Use Case that
is the basis of the Blueprint.  Similarly the Use Case might contain a
link to the Blueprint(s) that are being implemented to address the Use
Case.  But, frankly, for the progress we need to make with the Product WG
at this stage, I¹d propose we put that linking between Use Cases and
Blueprints as something we work on down the road.

Jim