[Product] Accelerating the Enterprise Adoption of OpenStack

Jesse Cook jesse.cook at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu Jul 30 15:20:29 UTC 2015

I recently discovered there was a product working group for OpenStack and joined the mailing list today. I've been trying to find a single source of truth for the expected behavior of OpenStack Powered Clouds. I've seen various things from def core and individual projects, but nothing so far that clearly illustrates the overarching expected behavior. I was wondering if this was a good opportunity and the right place to discuss this.

I believe that the OpenStack community and the customers of OpenStack Powered Clouds could really benefit from defining the expected behaviors (both permission to play and key value differentiators). One effective way to do this is through a business / development process known as Behavior Driven Development (BDD) [0]. I was wondering if we could use something like this to document and test the expected performance of an OpenStack Cloud using the 1000 node clusters. A quick example of a feature [1] might look like this:

Feature: Elasticity

    In order to briefly leverage the power of the Cloud to do some work,
    As an OpenStack Powered Cloud customer
    I want to quickly provision a large number of servers, perform some
    work, and then destroy them.

    Scenario Outline: Build Bursts
        Given <cells> cell(s)
        And each cell has <hosts> hosts
        And each host has <memory> free memory
        When I request <requests> VMs
        And each VM will have <size> of RAM
        Then every VM will be ready in <time>

        Examples: Performance Criteria
            | cells | hosts | memory | requests | size | time |
            |     1 |  1000 |   100G |     1000 |   2G | 600s |
            |    10 |   100 |   100G |     1000 |   2G | 600s |

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavior-driven_development
[1] http://pythonhosted.org/behave/tutorial.html#feature-files

Thanks,

Jesse J. Cook
Compute Team Lead
[http://600a2794aa4ab5bae6bd-8d3014ab8e4d12d3346853d589a26319.r53.cf1.rackcdn.com/signatures/images/rackspace_logo.png]

jesse.cook at rackspace.com<mailto:jesse.cook at rackspace.com>
irc: #compute-eng (gimchi)
mobile: 618-530-0659

<https://rackspacemarketing.com/signatyourEmail/>
[http://600a2794aa4ab5bae6bd-8d3014ab8e4d12d3346853d589a26319.r53.cf1.rackcdn.com/signatures/images/linkedin.png]<https://www.linkedin.com/pub/jesse-cook/8/292/620>  [http://600a2794aa4ab5bae6bd-8d3014ab8e4d12d3346853d589a26319.r53.cf1.rackcdn.com/signatures/images/google.png] <https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JesseCooks/posts/p/pub>