[Product] Reference Architectures

Arkady_Kanevsky at DELL.com Arkady_Kanevsky at DELL.com
Tue Jan 20 17:20:00 UTC 2015

By the way team,
I suggest we have these discussions on etherpad instead of email threads.
Friendly to community and easier for multiple parties to work and comment on it simultaneously.
I expected the discussion on agenda for next meeting to be done on https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/kilo-product-management-midcycle

Cheers,
Arkady

-----Original Message-----
From: Kanevsky, Arkady
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 11:13 AM
To: 'Andreas Jaeger'; product-wg at lists.openstack.org
Subject: RE: [Product] Reference Architectures

Great discussion.
I had attended Enterprise WG meeting at Kilo meeting.
While some of discussions were outside the scope of what OpenStack can do several actually do.

Here is the list I had compiled:
1. Support for upgrade and update. (nova made the most strides on that. And some of the code was moved to Oslo and is used by others. Cinder and Heat are starting to use it for their upgrade. But till all "core" projects support non-disruptive upgrade the whole openstack solution cannot be upgrade either. There are tons of caveat, including HA, live migration to make it truly upgradable. For updates, if we maintain some discipline, like not update DB schema, we should be close.) Need in depth dive into it.

2. Applications certified to work on OpenStack. This is outside of OpenStack code base or any current work.

3. Solution validator as part of OpenStack code base. We have Tempest, Grenade and Rally as OpenStack code base. But they are mostly targeted for internal CI and not as released component.

There is always whining and complaining that OpenStack does not take into account Enterprise application requirements into account. Mostly about resiliency, and performance guarantees. And we can do some work on that also.

Let's pick a couple we can make impact on instead of boiling the ocean.

See you all  next week.
Arkady

Arkady Kanevsky, Ph.D.
Director of SW development