[Product] Reference Architectures

Shamail Tahir itzshamail at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 01:12:00 UTC 2015

@Rocky:

I agree that we could look at what these initiatives are currently
targeting and defining as reference architectures as a starting point.  I
believe that even if these teams work on building out RAs, we should keep
in touch with them since we could gleam insights that play into the "2-3
year architecture/use case" discussion that we may be having.
Unfortunately, I don't think either group is far enough along in the
process to provide feedback during this mid-cycle meetup.  We should
definitely consider going through their findings at our next meetup.

By the way, I would be happy to help compile the information if there is
interest in covering what some of these other WGs are planning for 2015.

As a side-note, I have put my name on the list to help write some of the
user reference architectures in WTE (although I don't know if I will be
taken up on the offer yet) and I also recently joined the HA Guide Update
team.

@Roland:
I agree that it will be a balancing act.  If the RA is defined as "ready to
operate" (for a very specific combination) then the burden of delivering
the necessary variants will probably be very significant.  These would be
very meaningful to organization deploying the exact combination but
relevance would be minimal to the large part of the market.

On the other hand, if we build something too "high-level" then it might be
relegated to being a good read only for basic/introductory level of
understanding.

I like the approach you mentioned about focusing on attributes needed for
cloud consumption as the theme for a particular reference architecture
might be the right "level" of broadness/specificity to target (e.g. HA
OpenStack Clouds, Federated Clouds, Considerations for providing multiple
service levels within a cloud, etc.)  We can discuss our definition of "RA"
at some point and then see how it aligns with actual initiatives that are
in-flight.

Thanks,
Shamail