[Product] An "Operations Project" and the questions it raises.

Roland Chan roland at aptira.com
Tue Nov 11 23:44:17 UTC 2014

Hi All,

Some more food for thought as we lie dreaming of a mid-cycle product
management meetup.

There's a been a bit of traffic on the operators list about a proposal
<http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-operators/2014-November/005447.html>
for
an Operations project that would aim to curate a collection of assets to
support the operator community. To generate a set of "Frequently Required
Solutions" if you will.

Whilst there is some disagreement on the thread about how to proceed, it is
clear there's definitely a need amongst operators for quite a bit of
supporting code. As a group of product managers it behooves us to consider
some of the larger questions like this and drive/enable/influence the
community toward answering the questions that community considers a
priority.

In just saying that, some more big questions are raised:

   - What are the goals of this group?
   - What strategy are we going to employ to achieve those goals?
   - How do we gain acceptance from the wider community for this effort?
      - How do we find an effective mechanism for product management to
      occur?

and no doubt there are more.

Answering these questions it's not as "easy" as starting a project, but
it's necessary if this group wants to contribute in any collective or
concerted fashion.

If we're going to have a mid-cycle meetup, lets set some targets for what
we want to achieve there, and lets set them well in advance. For me, the
priority is establishing the basic existential motivations for this group:

   1. Why are we here? (Purpose, Goals)
   2. What are we going to do about it? (Strategy)

Anything more than that is a bonus, and if we can agree these prior to the
meetup, so much the better. However without these basics, any work in the
detail doesn't validate the existence of this group as anything more than
just a mailing list.

Cheers,
--

*Roland Chan*