[Product] Thoughts On Product-wg Deliverables

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Tue Dec 23 00:56:58 UTC 2014

On 12/21/2014 12:56 PM, Colette Alexander wrote:
> This all sounds good - but it also sounds like a lot of continuous work and
> commitment to be a part of the community in ways that haven't yet existed.
> To that end, I wonder how this collaboration might happen. I know there's a
> mid-cycle meetup being planned - is there anything else that might make
> sense for us to do on a more regular (weekly?) basis? I have all of the
> where/how questions about the above list (which is a *great* one) - and one
> question that Allison,Sean and Rob posited at the Summit still sticks in my
> craw: are we all willing, as a group, to share pieces of our
> roadmap/customer feedback & internal prioritization at the open source
> level to help out with this?

That's a great question and one that I'd love to see answered.

I'd honestly settle if anyone in this group would identify the most
important specs, for them, and ask to this group for any doubt/question
they have.

For example, Neutron approved *a lot* of specs for Kilo, the core team
knows they've over-booked their resources. Chances are, a lot of these
specs have high chances of not going to be shipped in Kilo release.

http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/neutron-specs/

> It might be a thing that has to develop organically through meetings, but I
> do think developing our own upstream shared space of understanding and ways
> of work will be the first step, before we can provide a unified vision to
> present & help with project work happening upstream.

Meeting regularly would be good. Any thoughts on the medium and time?

> I agree wholeheartedly with all of the above, *especially* with the
> not-telling-project teams what to do. I do think some work could/might be
> done by this group during a development cycle with an eye towards
> presenting to developers or teams before the summit for the next
> development cycle. I also think for folks who are on the more program
> spectrum of things (as opposed to product management), meeting or gathering
> mid-cycle to reaffirm resource commitments through the end of the
> development cycle, or all folks gathering to help re-prioritize if projects
> need it, wouldn't be awful either.

I'll let Sean kick-off the conversation about an in-person meeting some
time before/around kilo-2.

/stef