[Product] Thoughts On Product-wg Deliverables

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Tue Dec 23 00:43:16 UTC 2014

Hi james,

thanks for pushing the conversation forward.

On 12/19/2014 01:20 PM, Haselmaier, James wrote:
> *  User Personas.  Define the different users and their high level
[...]

In addition to what Colette said, there is also a mailing list in case
you're interested in helping that group:

> *  Drive collection and consolidation of information about where
> OpenStack might need to go – on a multi-release / multi-year type of
>  level.  This could result in things like Multi-Cloud Support,
> Significantly Easier Deployment, Higher Level Application Services,
> Billing Integration, Directory Integration, Security/Hardening, etc.

Yes, indeed this would be a useful document to produce as a long term
plan for this group. I'd put this in the 'second phase', and start from
smaller, easier tasks like:

> *  Work with project teams during release planning on blueprint
> definition and prioritization.

As Colette noted, this group needs to agree to "share pieces of our
roadmap/customer feedback & internal prioritization at the open source
level".

> *  Provide a cross-project perspective that might not come through at
> the individual project level.  The API consistency issue is a very
> good example of this kind of issue.  The individual projects might
> not see this as having as high a priority as a user does who is
> consuming multiple projects and has to deal with it on a day-to-day
> basis.

There is also an API working group that meets Weekly, Thursday at
16:00UTC/00:00 UTC (alternating)

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/API_Working_Group

> IMHO all of the above should be offered in the spirit of providing
> input to the teams, NOT telling them what is to be done.  I also
> think once a release is off-and-running (from a development
> perspective) that this group’s involvement would be minimal –
> possibly nothing at all.

I see the activity of this group being cyclical and I think those will
be more spread out than just twice a year. All OpenStack programs have
to make decisions at every milestone and I think overseeing development
activities and deadlines will require more constant attention.

> It seems to me the processes around
> actually developing what is decided to be developed are working
> pretty well.  Things seem to be getting done as planned.  I don’t see
> a need for the projects to have additional involvement during the
> development and release process.

The thing is that nothing ever goes as planned :) For example, features
or issues that have been approved for a milestone may not be submitted
in time and get dropped from the release, leaving lots of
product/program/project managers upset. This scenario is what this group
should avoid repeating.

/stef