[Product] An "Operations Project" and the questions it raises.

Rochelle Grober rochelle.grober at huawei.com
Thu Dec 11 00:15:34 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Hellmann [mailto:doug at doughellmann.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 2:57 PM
To: product-wg at lists.openstack.org
Subject: Re: [Product] An "Operations Project" and the questions it raises.

As a PTL, I can offer some insight into how my team and I set priorities for Oslo (I can't really speak for the other projects).

Bugs are prioritized according to some general heuristics:

[Rockyg]  One area pro[d|j]ect managers provide value is during the bug triage cycle.  If there were a time for discussion (weekly meeting agenda item?), an interested party could provide their input as to why any specific bug was more or less critical to other community members.  They also might be able to tie it to issues in other projects.  Also could be useful on importance of backporting.

 * Bug reports submitted by users in production systems are prioritzed over bugs just reported in our CI system.
 * If a user-reported bug is seen on an release more than 1 cycle old, it likely will not be prioritized unless it is repeatable or also reported on a newer release.
 * Bugs that are triggered frequently in the CI system are also given high priority, since they have a direct impact on all of the other contributors.

Feature requests are treated a little differently.

Feature requests, as they relate to specs, are prioritized based on:

 * alignment of the spec with basic architectural and technical underpinnings of the project
 * how widely useful and applicable the feature is, as presented by the spec author
 * having resources available and willing to execute on the spec
 * consistent availability of resources to continue to implement the spec
 * consistent and continuous consensus on implementation plan for the spec among core project members

*Having a list of prioritized features, but no resources contributing meaningfully to implement them, isn't helpful.*

[Rockyg]  I Understand lack of resources, but having others provide prioritization might highlight how important or timely a feature is, and also highlight that there are no resources on an important feature, which might get these people focusing on adding resources. It is also possible that if someone considered an unstaffed or lightly staffed feature to be of high importance, enough resources could be put against that to free others to work on features they felt matched their talents better.  Also, perhaps this is a perfect place where adding senior developers as reviewers of specs and/or code, even if they can't spare developers might be an added incentive for a developer to take on the task.

There are a few things I, as a PTL and TC member, would love to see from this group:

1) Alignment of contributor working cadences with OpenStack release cadences. Having them available to work whole cycles, instead of contributing code and leaving before RC is complete will increase the chances that a contribution made early in a cycle won't be pulled if critical issues are found late in the cycle.

[Rockyg] Agreed.  But, I think that we also need to ensure the proper tests are part of the contribution and other contributions that interface with it so that issues are found before merge or shortly thereafter.

2) An allowance of time for each OpenStack contributor committed to a project to learn (deeply, through code reviews, and across projects, through exploration). Having a better understanding of OpenStack will allow them to write higher quality, more sustainable code for you and the project.

[Rockyg] Agreed. We have to make sure the resources are up to speed if we commit them to a development project.

3) The dedication of more reviewing resources. OpenStack projects are review-driven. Every contribution must be reviewed, several times, before it is accepted. The small groups of core reviewers are operating above a sustainable capacity already, and want to train new members up to core level. We need skilled developers to be given time to gain the trust of the core teams by performing reviews on existing projects.  Contributing code should be an equal, or even secondary, priority to reviewing for anyone who needs to get anything done at all.

[Rockyg] Also agreed.  With a team I mentored, the team was instructed to start contributing by writing tests (API to learn the flow and interfaces), performing reviews (at least one a day), and fixing and/or finding bugs. I tried to encourage the developers to provide 5 reviews for every gerrit submit/amend they did. But, that's my team and info gleaned from the mailing lists to come up with the suggested levels. We as "managers" of whatever sort should be able to better socialize what corporate participate should be and might actually have a better chance of getting the proper commitments when the managers' group is doing the shaming/praising.  It's really hard for a developer to get a busy manager to hear him when he says he can't get reviews because he isn't allotted time in his schedule to do them for others' code.

All of the above allow for more meaningful contribution from resources committed to making OpenStack better.

[Rockyg] These are all important aspects and issues the pm group needs to consider and come up with ways to address these issues to better deliver what our customers need.

--Rocky

Doug