[Product] An "Operations Project" and the questions it raises.

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Wed Dec 10 01:49:40 UTC 2014

On 12/07/2014 11:38 PM, Roland Chan wrote:
> Stefano's points on coordination and prioritisation are the tactical part
> of product management. It's the strategic part that concerns me: what are
> we going to do to improve OpenStack as a product (which is a lot more than
> shipping the latest release) in a changing environment?

I always thought of this group as a tactics-focused one since the
strategy for OpenStack is done at TC and Board level but re-reading your
message though I think I can be convinced of the contrary: what do other
people think?

> I would go with something like:
>
> The Product working group is made of managers, people, functions, groups
> that own "products" based on OpenStack who aim to improve the quality of
> the delivery process, the delivered product, and the product experience for
> operators and end users. We do this by coordinating our actions, advocating
> on behalf of our customers for improvements in all areas of the OpenStack
> community's activity and continuously measuring our progress.

Sounds better than the one we have. Do others want to chime in and iterate?

> What we measure is an interesting question.

How about we start talking about what we produce and go from there? Are
we going to produce something like a list of what this groups considers
top priority blueprints/specs? Something else?

/stef